Did I find an error?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Did I find an error?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:18 pm

I found a 1975-D Lincoln cent that could potentially be an error and I thought I’d ask about it. I want to apologize in advance in that I don’t have a good way to upload a photo. So instead let me describe it as best as possible.

The obverse is probably about XFish- a bit dark but nothing too offensive. But the reverse looks like one half of a blank planchet. There is no upset rim and the back appears to be smooth. I don’t see any signs of the Lincoln Memorial or marks made by a file or other device. Also, the obverse doesn’t show any tampering type marks. This pre-82 (presumably) copper cent should weigh 3.1 grams, but it only weighs 2.4 grams.

Has anyone ever seen a coin without heavy wear that was blank on one side and looked perfectly normal on the other? I own and have seen plenty of blank planchets that are blank on both sides.

What do you guys think? Was this tampered with or is it legit? If legit, can you give me a rough guesstimate on the value?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Did I find an error?

Postby agmoose » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm

The really low weight makes me think it has been tampered with in some fashion. Off-center strike planchets usually affect both sides equally in my experience, and you seem to have ruled that out. We've all seen the washing machine damaged pennies and nickels where a side has been nearly completely smoothed away......could it be that?
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:18 pm

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:44 am

The one that Franklin found weighs 2.46 grams and mine shows as 2.4 (my scale only has one digit after the decimal). But the thin (or foreign) planchet theory sounds like what I might have. Thanks for the input on this one.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am

Don't know how one side could strike up and the other side be smooth or flat, I would lean toward the washing machine or something else scenario.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics