A Holed Coin Type Set

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

A Holed Coin Type Set

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

On another thread on this fine forum I responded to this comment by thecrazyone...

thecrazyone wrote:What is the deal with holes in coins anyway? Bored people?

I figured that the subject deserved broader attention so I am reposting my response here:

In the mid-1800's or so, I've read and heard that people would wear a holed coin (usually dime, quarter or half) around their neck as a very small way of prepping. If they found that they had no money and were hungry, they could turn in what was around their neck for one last meal.

I'm working (very slowly I might add) on a holed type set, which is actually a pretty cool thing. I've seen a few of them before and they are quite beautiful. For my holed type coins, I want either a key date (for instance, I have a holed 1864 "L" on ribbon Indian Head cent in roughly XF that looks really nice) or a coin that is in nicer condition (say, XF or above). A sample of a nicer holed coin in the set is a beautiful Barber half in AU+++ condition from the 1890's that is an "S" mint. Pretty sure it is either and 1894-S or 1895-S.

I won't accept just any holed coin for my set. It has to have a hole that isn't a jagged mess or overly huge and I prefer it to be near the 12 o'clock position without having the hole go through the head of the person on the coin (if the head is fairly small- like on the seated Liberty coins). Also, you don't want to have the hole be in the position where the mint mark is- then you might not know where the coin was produced.

Holed coins can often be bought for big discounts versus the retail value of the same dates without holes. I would guess that, generally, you can buy a coin that would cost $100 for $10 to $40 if it is holed. Look at some of those that have sold on eBay and you will get a better feel for pricing.

These sets, when complete can easily be worth several thousand dollars, so you can imagine there are some pretty nice coins in there. One other thing, holed coins from the last 50 years or so are not very easy to find, but that doesn't mean that they are worth much either. So I wouldn't fall for that trap.

By the way, two coin dealers I know well are also both working on holed type sets.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: A Holed Coin Type Set

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:35 pm

i hadnt considered a holed type set -- neat idea !

i do have a few hundred holed coins ive saved over the years -- mostly foreign stuff

it'd be nice to know the story behind the hole -- a science project, bored kid, lucky charm, or keepsake to a loved one

if only coins could talk
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:15 pm

This is a really neat idea. I haven't even begun a normal type set....but honestly the uniqueness of a holed set would lead me there before the normal one. I'm sure it'd take a LONG time to fill.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:50 pm

It does take a while, but you should be able to get 5-10 pieces pretty quickly on eBay (or elsewhere). And then you are hooked.

Another thing- if you are at a place like a pawn shop or flea market where the other party may not know that much about coins, you might be able to get a key date for a really cheap price. After all, it has a hole in it. They might think they will never be able to sell it.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby misteroman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:42 am

I have a bunch of holes coins you may be interested in. Best probably being an 1859 VF half. Many large cents, 3 cents, etc. Send me a PM if interested.
D
misteroman

Return to USA Numismatics