Old Mint Roll Pennies, What to do....

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Sell or open

Poll ended at Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:45 am

Sell
23%
Open
62%
Keep
15%

Total votes : 13

Old Mint Roll Pennies, What to do....

Postby Silver handle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:45 am

I happened upon a sale a couldn't refuse. A guy that knows me locally was aware that I horde copper pennies as bullion. He brought me 7 rolls that were marked the year and mint. Majorly they appeared to have not been tampered with in any way. They are (2)-1962P, (2)-1963D, (1)-1971S, (1)-1973P, (1)-1974P. All seven rolls has the corresponding coins on each end with great luster. Just to verify that they were what I was buying I carefully opened the one of the 63D. I also noticed that the 73P appeared to have been inspected prior, so I carefully opened that one as well. Both inspected rolls were indeed same years and mints throughout. I made the deal base on 10% below melt value.

Of course I held my excitement towards to 71S roll. But now I feel I have a huge decision and have come here seeking advice of other members that I know and trust. That decision being, should I open the 71S roll or sell it as is. Normally I'm always inclined that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I know there are still 71S DDO in the wild. and the opportunity to find a possible 69-70 grade coin worth thousands of dollars is almost irresistible. Then again I could stand to make a thousand times my investment just selling the roll as is, provided I could find someone interested. Thus my conundrum. So what say you RCdotO?
Last edited by Silver handle on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance is not futile............(It's voltage divided by current)
Silver handle

Re: Old Mint Roll Pennies, What to do....

Postby hobo finds » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:37 pm

I would open it up.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:44 pm

I would toss 'em in with the rest of my unopened original bank wrapped rolls. This option wasn't on your poll questionnaire.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver handle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you for input fasteddy. I have added the keep option. At present I'm still more inclined to sell the roll as it is, then take my profits and add to my hoard.

@hobo finds: Curios why you would open it? Do you feel my chances are that good at finding a DDO in a mint roll?

It is from Wells Fargo. Wish I could post a pic without a hosting site.
Silver handle

Postby hobo finds » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm

If you dont open it you would never know. I hope you have one in there....
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 pm

A few more posts and you should be able to post pics
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Don’t expect any MS-69’s or 70’s in there. Grades like that are usually for one of two reasons:

1) The grading service assigns a 70 grade to something that PCGS or NGC would only give a 64 to. So they are way too liberal!

2) Coins that get really high grades with any frequency are specially struck. Example: Lots of silver American Eagles legitimately get 69’s from PCGS and NGC. Not so for Lincolns where anything above 65 is tough to get.

In an original Unc. roll of Lincolns I would expect maybe a single 66 or 67. That’s it.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:55 am

I would open them.
dakota1955

Postby realhumancopper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 pm

What does an unopened 71-S roll sell for these days? thanks.................hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver handle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 pm

realhumancopper wrote:What does an unopened 71-S roll sell for these days? thanks.................hal

What a great question Hal. I asked my LCS since I couldn't find any for sale, or that have sold recently. His opinion was this: Gray sheet has a Unc with mint luster @$7-8 per penny. I have 50 so $350-400. I'm kind of looking at this like a box of baseball cards with the possibility of 1 or more super rare valuable cards contained within one of the 50 packs. Should there be a DDO, it could fetch $700 or more depending on the grading. To me that would make this roll worth a little more than the $350-400 range. After all, how many unopened rolls can be floating around at this point some 48 years later. My thoughts at present would be to begin asking in the $500-$550 range and see if I get any offers. This allows room for investors interested in searching to come forward as there is only a sight risk of loss.

For those paying attention to the poll. I have yet to cast, and I will also proxy my LCS vote as well. So even though it may appeared tied at the moment there are 2 swing votes in the end.
Silver handle

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Silver handle wrote:
realhumancopper wrote:What does an unopened 71-S roll sell for these days? thanks.................hal

What a great question Hal. I asked my LCS since I couldn't find any for sale, or that have sold recently. His opinion was this: Gray sheet has a Unc with mint luster @$7-8 per penny. I have 50 so $350-400.

Am I understanding you correctly? You are saying that UNC 1971- S pennies should sell for $7.00 to $8.00 each making a roll worth between $350.00 and $400.00?

I just did a search on eBay and it looks like they are selling between $10.00 and $20.00 per roll there for UNC coins.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver handle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:29 pm

My apologies, not Unc, MS+ say 62 or better. Lots of eBay ads for $8 and up. Mind you those are graded. I'll see about trying to load a few pictures. That would help with understanding what I have.
Silver handle

Postby Silver handle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kjJvWrA9YdSbVBjU8

The 2 rolls on the right have been opened. The last two obverse photos are each end of the 71s. Tight seals on both sides. Should anyone find a link of an unopened roll, I'd love to see it.
Silver handle

Postby everything » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:00 pm

You got a good deal on these, and why would anyone believe the roll is un-searched.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rainsonme » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Schrodinger's Cent. You dont know if there's a DDO until you look. Finding a really valuable coin would be a thrill for me; I will cast my vote now.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:28 am

Talk about a conundrum. :)

Whatever you do, please let us know.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver handle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 am

@everything. They would believe it is un-searched because it is unopened. Not sure if you looked at the pictures, but you can clearly tell the roll has yet to be tampered with. As my LCS stated, " They don't make them anymore" referring to not only the coins themselves but the wrapper with the bank logo in that style.

@rainsonme. You are so right. it truly is Schrodinger's Cent. Yet I'm still leaning toward keeping the cent in the roll. I've even worked out the odds that I have a better shot at finding a DDO in this roll, than I do at hitting the lottery jackpot. As everything pointed out, I got a great deal. So I really cant lose either way. I just wanted as many opinions and eyes to help me make such a hard decision. Throw the think tank at it, as it were.

@coppernickle. Would be happy to let you know. I might sell them right here in fact. Then again it is a KSA weekend ;)
Silver handle

Return to USA Numismatics