Questions only.

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Questions only.

Postby cyberdan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Two days ago I hit a yard sale and the owner had a tub of coins. They were all in books. Actually it was only about $45 face in silver. A few Morgans, Silver Eagle and some pretty old halves. But the majority were dimes about $25 face.

There were two Mercury books (old nice ones, not blue) One Dansco had some missing spots but the other one helped me almost fill the book. The other even older green book had a lot of coins that were younger.

So this is my question. Should I pull the coins and sell most at a little over melt and the higher priced ones individually OR should I try and sell the books.

Book A has all the Mercurys (except 1916D 1971D 1921 1921D (the ones you would not expect a normal collector to find in change)

Book B has all Mercurys 1934 to 1945D (except 1942 over 1941)

I can tell this is an old collection most were probably pulled from pocket change.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Re: Questions only.

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 am

Hopefully you were able to get the books at a good price.

Unless the coins are in better condition or better dates (which you stated they were not) then there really isn't much of a difference between how you sell them. The person who buys in the book is more of a collector and the person who buys them in a bag mixed together is more of a stacker. Either way you should get around the same price for them.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Questions only.

Postby cyberdan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:04 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Hopefully you were able to get the books at a good price.

yes, I got at a good price but that was a couple days before silver took a $2 drop.
I still did OK. I think I might pull some of the nicer coins and list on feebay a 1926S looks very good.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Return to USA Numismatics