Any thought if this coin is real.

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Re: Any thought if this coin is real.

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:20 pm

You say you think it is a counterfeit. If the owner of the coin is telling the truth about acquiring it in 1955 when the coin was minted I don't think there was much counterfeiting back then. I guess just going by that fact alone I would say it is real. If he said he just purchased it on eBay or found it in circulation then I would say there is a good chance that it is counterfeit. Why is it that you think it is counterfeit?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:22 pm

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:25 pm

NDFarmer wrote:You say you think it is a counterfeit. If the owner of the coin is telling the truth about acquiring it in 1955 when the coin was minted I don't think there was much counterfeiting back then. I guess just going by that fact alone I would say it is real. If he said he just purchased it on eBay or found it in circulation then I would say there is a good chance that it is counterfeit. Why is it that you think it is counterfeit?

It’s not me who thinks it’s counterfeit it’s another member of that group. That’s why I posted it here. Because I don’t know enough to tell. But I would tend to agree with you if the province that he gives it is true and I would agree with you.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:07 pm

Wouldn't the portrait show some doubling as well as the text? It doesnt look right.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hirbonzig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:34 pm

My opinion is fake, they got the lettering doubling wrong. Best way to find out is to take it to a trusted LCS for an opinion if real or not, then send of to a third party grading company if thought real.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 pm

It is no good! It has that washed out look that comes from China.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:16 am

You guys are probably right that it is fake. But why would the owner of the coin make up a story that the coin was acquired by a family member in 1955 and has been in the family since then? Did he make this up to cover the fact that it is counterfeit?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 am

To me the date and IN GOD WE TRUST both look to be rotated counter clockwise, but LIBERTY looks to be translated northwest. That combination would be physically impossible, no?
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:20 pm

What would give me pause is the way Liberty is stamped over the top and raised up. Compared to In God We Trust which is stamped left to right not over/under. Just my opinion
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:49 pm

I say fake. Color isn’t right.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics