2021-D Quarter Looks Like 1943-44

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

2021-D Quarter Looks Like 1943-44

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue May 25, 2021 3:37 pm

I got a couple 2021-D quarters (Washington crossing the Delaware type) in change in the past several days and something occurred to me right away when I looked at them. Except for the date and location of the mintmark, the obverse looked A LOT like 1943-1944 BU quarters that I got from my great aunt back in the day.

So much so, in fact, that I even did the old fashioned drop test to make sure they weren’t silver. I thought that perhaps the mint might have made some special edition silver coins that got out into circulation.

Anyone else see these quarters? You’d have to see the coins in person. A photo wouldn’t do them justice.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 2021-D Quarter Looks Like 1943-44

Postby coindood » Tue May 25, 2021 5:57 pm

I agree it looks different. Thought it was just the font of the 2's but it seems like the entire date has more depth (relief?).
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 am

I was thinking the surface of the obverse has a silvery look to it.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 29, 2021 5:12 am

Just spoke with a local dealer yesterday who said he noticed the same thing!

Recyclersteve

Return to USA Numismatics