Question of the Day

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Question of the Day

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:22 am

Question of the day- and this is about blank planchets...

I have a penny I’m looking at. It is a blank planchet. Even though it is truly blank, I can tell with pretty good certainty that it is a 2019-D. How is that?

P.S. I thought this might be a good thread to start to share our numismatic knowledge each other.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Question of the Day

Postby coindood » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:37 am

Was it found in an original bank roll or bag of other normally struck 2019=D cents?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Question of the Day

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 am

Good guess, but no. I toured the Denver mint in 2019 and got a plastic sleeve containing two pennies. One was a regular 2019-D in BU. The other was a blank planchet. This is the same plastic (cellophane?) used for mint sets. It was actually a pretty cool momento.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics