What are "Tool Marks"?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What are "Tool Marks"?

Postby Morsecode » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:25 pm

I see this on PCGS slabs (early dollars & half dollars, mostly) but I'm not sure what they are, or where. Do they mean adjustments as made by mint employees, or from coin enhancements some time later?

Tried search engine but didn't come up with much.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What are "Tool Marks"?

Postby coppernickel » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:49 pm

In the early days, when gold and silver were money, blanks were made a little over weight then filed to be the correct weight.

The mint employees did file the blanks before the coins were struck. It leaves a very distinct "tool mark" on the finished coins.

It is a different mark than being filed after minting.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:14 am

So I asume that meant filing the edge of a coin, rather than gouging out from the fields.

I guess I was confused because the way PCGS put it on the slab it made it sound like something undesireable about the coin that impacted it's value, like "Improperly Cleaned", which I see a lot. Tooling is a neat bit of history...why wouldn't you want it?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:07 am

From the Redbook explanation, across the face would not surprise me. This would be before the striking. I have never seen any of them.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics