Grading service costs

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Grading service costs

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:13 am

What do the big grading companies charge for one coin? Is it cheaper per coin when requesting the service for multiple coins at the same time? Membership discounts worthwhile?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Grading service costs

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:02 am

Depends on what you want...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:01 pm

ANACS has specials all the time.
the current offer is 12 silver Eagles for $96.
the usually have sales for pennies and/or dollars 10 for $100
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:24 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:Depends on what you want...

Yeah, I'm so ignorant I don't even know what I want. Just as an example, I have a Morgan Dollar that my dad paid $400 for back in the late 1960's. I'm wondering what its grade is, and how much that would cost to find out. If it were to grade as MS67, say, and only cost $30 for the service, I might be interested. If it only graded as Fine and cost $60, I would be disappointed. I guess I'm just not into numismatics enough to want to try. If I spend $30 on grading services, that's $30 that I can't spend on an additional ounce.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:25 pm

justoneguy wrote:ANACS has specials all the time.
the current offer is 12 silver Eagles for $96.
the usually have sales for pennies and/or dollars 10 for $100

Thanks for the info. Is there a difference in the reputation of the several grading companies? If so, what causes that difference?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:32 pm

shinnosuke wrote: a Morgan Dollar that my dad paid $400 for back in the late 1960's.

If it is a 1884S then he did well. Show pics and we can grade it for u.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:25 pm

I remembered wrong. It was $225 for this one.

IMG_9414.jpeg
IMG_9414.jpeg (150.36 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

IMG_9415.jpeg
IMG_9415.jpeg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 am

shinnosuke wrote:What do the big grading companies charge for one coin? Is it cheaper per coin when requesting the service for multiple coins at the same time? Membership discounts worthwhile?

NGC and PCGS are really the only ones worth using. Anacs does usually accurately grade but they just aren't as well respected as the others.

The pricing is based on the tier of service. Economy and standard are the main ones that people use unless you are submitting modern or a rarity.
PCGS costs around $30 a coin and NGC costs around $27 a coin. They both charge a $10 "processing" fee as well as return shipping costs so due to all the costs its most economical to send in several coins at once. If you were just to send in 1 coin its going to cost you around $60.

The 1881 S you posted looks like it would grade MS65 to me-which would put the value around $175-200.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 am

highroller4321 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:What do the big grading companies charge for one coin? Is it cheaper per coin when requesting the service for multiple coins at the same time? Membership discounts worthwhile?

NGC and PCGS are really the only ones worth using. Anacs does usually accurately grade but they just aren't as well respected as the others.

The pricing is based on the tier of service. Economy and standard are the main ones that people use unless you are submitting modern or a rarity.
PCGS costs around $30 a coin and NGC costs around $27 a coin. They both charge a $10 "processing" fee as well as return shipping costs so due to all the costs its most economical to send in several coins at once. If you were just to send in 1 coin its going to cost you around $60.

The 1881 S you posted looks like it would grade MS65 to me-which would put the value around $175-200.

Thanks, Adam, that was the info I was hoping to receive. If my dad's coin is now a $200 coin, he really got robbed by paying $225 for it back in the late 60's. I wonder where that coin dealer is now...
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:29 pm

Very nice looking coin...some scuff marks on the cheek but no heavy bag marks. I would agree to Adam's MS65...to bad it cost your Dad so much back then...with inflation that 200 $ is nearly 2000 $ today. I was too young in the '60's to know the environment of the coin collecting world with Morgan dollars when the US gov open the vaults and sold off the Morgans in them.I would imagine it was a lot of fun and many wanted to get some of those coins. Maybe that was the case for this one.

I think the consensus for serious coin collectors...PCGS then NGC then ANACS then no others have much merit.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:45 pm

fasteddy wrote:Very nice looking coin...some scuff marks on the cheek but no heavy bag marks. I would agree to Adam's MS65...to bad it cost your Dad so much back then...with inflation that 200 $ is nearly 2000 $ today. I was too young in the '60's to know the environment of the coin collecting world with Morgan dollars when the US gov open the vaults and sold off the Morgans in them.I would imagine it was a lot of fun and many wanted to get some of those coins. Maybe that was the case for this one.

I think the consensus for serious coin collectors...PCGS then NGC then ANACS then no others have much merit.

I can remember going to coin shops with dad on occasion, at 8-9-10 years old. There were other people in the shop. Seemed like a happenin' place. Still dad got ripped off. No matter how you look at it. Dad and I should have stayed away from the coin shop and just concentrate on coin roll searching.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:38 am

shinnosuke wrote:
fasteddy wrote:Very nice looking coin...some scuff marks on the cheek but no heavy bag marks. I would agree to Adam's MS65...to bad it cost your Dad so much back then...with inflation that 200 $ is nearly 2000 $ today. I was too young in the '60's to know the environment of the coin collecting world with Morgan dollars when the US gov open the vaults and sold off the Morgans in them.I would imagine it was a lot of fun and many wanted to get some of those coins. Maybe that was the case for this one.

I can remember going to coin shops with dad on occasion, at 8-9-10 years old. There were other people in the shop. Seemed like a happenin' place. Still dad got ripped off. No matter how you look at it. Dad and I should have stayed away from the coin shop and just concentrate on coin roll searching.

It does seem that he paid a high price but the 1881 S used to be a pretty scare coin until there was a hoard of several bags discovered in a bank vault.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:11 am

highroller4321 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

It does seem that he paid a high price but the 1881 S used to be a pretty scare coin until there was a hoard of several bags discovered in a bank vault.

That's some cool info and it provides a bit of comfort, but wow. Well, plain ol' bullion is the life for me.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 am

Cool....send me you Morgan I will send you some silver bullion...ASE"s? junk silver? I am sure you want to keep it but....if not the offer is there.

FE
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:42 pm

fasteddy wrote:Cool....send me you Morgan I will send you some silver bullion...ASE"s? junk silver? I am sure you want to keep it but....if not the offer is there.

FE

I guess I'll hang on to it. Only a few numismatics in my pile.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics