Bicentennial Quarters

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Bicentennial Quarters

Postby Silver4face » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:37 pm

Yep, the drummer boy has been mentioned by various members in the distant past on several different threads. Rather than comment on or reply to an ancient post, I have decided to start a new thread. I realize that the production numbers were very high (1.6 billion), but I sense that they are starting to take on a premium. In June, I sold a roll of them for 13 dollars at a flea market. That's a 3 dollar profit. Then I sold a half roll at a different flea market meaning a different customer for 7 dollars ($2 profit). I realize these are not huge profit margins, but I think it's cool that they can be sold above face. They are a unique quarter for sure. I actually have two rolls in my collection (purchased for face of course at banks) . Does anyone here collect and/or sell them?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Bicentennial Quarters

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:53 pm

I know someone who buys circulated ‘76 quarters for 28 cents and halves for 55 cents each. I set them aside when I see them, but only to sell to him. The mintage is so high and the fact that neither has any silver is a turnoff to me.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:08 pm

I save the quarters. I have seen them for sale for more than face value at antique stores. I would like to be able to sell bicentennial halves for more than face! When sorting that is the second most common after the 1971-D. Don't know for sure but probably have about 10 rolls of quarters.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:47 pm

There are 40% silver ones out there
hobo finds

Postby coindood » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:19 pm

I suspect entrepreneurial types are planning collectible sets to coincide with the upcoming semiquincentennial.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:05 pm

In Tucson there was a person paying 2 x face.

I save them for the uniqueness.

As for the halves. In a box last week there were 120 ish D and only 22P. Even though the montage was very close. Perhaps influenced by what the feds released??
cwgii

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:53 pm

In today's environment it's an
Opportunity cost vs Opportunity lost scenario for me.
I used to save them in bulk as my "cash reserves".
Thinking they might have value some day.
The Opportunity cost hurt. Silver exploded and the Bicentennial collected dust.
I have a few set aside for novelty gifts. Most were spent back into circulation locally and probably sit in change jars and cigar boxes of local entrepreneurs.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:34 pm

cwgii wrote:In Tucson there was a person paying 2 x face.

I save them for the uniqueness.

As for the halves. In a box last week there were 120 ish D and only 22P. Even though the montage was very close. Perhaps influenced by what the feds released??
WOW - Double face! I wish I could get that. I wonder how many he/she has purchased at that price? Even though I'm the one that started this thread, I have to admit that the bicentennials are a low priority for me. But I like to occasionally pluck a few out of circulation.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:07 pm

I've been setting them aside whenever I get them in change for about a decade. I have a few rolls just from keeping them from pocket change, as I never buy rolls of quarters to search.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics