Bank with NO CASH

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Bank with NO CASH

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:54 pm

I was on vacation earlier this month in Southern California and went into a Chase Bank branch. They said they have no coins or currency of any kind. I asked what they did and they said they do things such as:

Opening accounts
Financial planning
Helping users with the Chase app

I hafta admit that I was VERY disappointed. This was a first for me. Has anyone else had this happen?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Bank with NO CASH

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:39 pm

I live in Southern California and bank with Chase. Many of the branches I have visited are set up without a row of traditional teller windows and primarily have staff available to help customers create accounts or show them how to use the more sophisticated ATMs they have inside the branch. In each case there has been a single teller window somewhere off to the side of around a corner that can handle cash transactions. I have yet to see a branch with no cash at all but I’m not surprised that there are some out there.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:08 pm

The branch I went to was on the PCH in Torrance.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:50 am

Recyclersteve wrote:The branch I went to was on the PCH in Torrance.

That’s deep into L.A. County. Cash-less banks probably weren’t the only strange the thing you ran into. There’s just something about L.A. that makes me want to steer clear of it and stick to the sane parts of the state.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:07 pm

At one of the CUs I used to use, they changed it to if you want to do anything involving cash, there's an ATM of sorts with a video screen where you have to do it via video chat. There are no longer any tellers.

My wife's CU is entirely cashless as far as what's inside the branch. Just a check-in, and then some cubicle/desks.

I think my other CU is the only bank I've been in recently that doesn't have bulletproof glass, and does cash transactions.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:20 pm

My credit union has gone 100% virtual. The doors of all the branches are always closed. ATM, mobile app, mail and phone are the only methods of doing business.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:29 pm

Tourney64 wrote:My credit union has gone 100% virtual. The doors of all the branches are always closed. ATM, mobile app, mail and phone are the only methods of doing business.

What a [fluffing] shitshow! I would close my account and do business elsewhere.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:12 pm

Silver4face wrote:
Tourney64 wrote:My credit union has gone 100% virtual. The doors of all the branches are always closed. ATM, mobile app, mail and phone are the only methods of doing business.

What a [fluffing] shitshow! I would close my account and do business elsewhere.

I did at one cu. they said it was the way of the future. Not for this dinosaur
cwgii

Return to USA Numismatics