Please Help identify this "Coin"

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Please Help identify this "Coin"

Postby MUTiger » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:58 pm

I picked this up the other day at the local thrift store. I am trying to identify what it is and composition but not having much luck on the internet so I am turning to this trusted advisory group.
The coin is 60 mm in diameter and weighs 70 grams. Typing the words on the back into various search engines reveal similar coins with Adnauer Konrad or Winston Churchill. Some are smaller diameter and weigh 13 grams and I have found others the same size as this but none with Dwight Eisenhower on the obverse. Web link shows some images of similar coins.

Eisenhower Obverse Crop.jpg
Eisenhower Obverse
Eisenhower Obverse Crop.jpg (840.47 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Eisenhower Reverse Crop 1.jpg
Eisenhower Reverse
Eisenhower Reverse Crop 1.jpg (815.01 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Eisenhower Hallmark Edge.jpg
Eisenhower Edge Hallmark
Eisenhower Hallmark Edge.jpg (435.72 KiB) Viewed 297 times

https://www.google.com/search?q=cusus+ut+memoria+vivat&tbm=isch&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh_a323qT8AhWRFt4AHZ24DloQgowBKAB6BAgBECA&biw=1236&bih=1422

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Re: Please Help identify this "Coin"

Postby stas3000 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:41 pm

Looks like a commemorative medal. I've never seen this one before. Many different medals were struck in 1969 and early 1970's to commemorate Eisenhower. Both in the US and Europe. The "1000" on edge is typically a precious metal fineness reference used by many European mints (Italy, France, etc). More than likely this means pure silver in this instance. It's worth getting this scanned using PMV or XRF just to be sure.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:01 pm

Try "coinoscope"
It allows you to scan the coin and tells you what you have. I used it with coin I can't identify
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:19 pm

stas3000 wrote:Looks like a commemorative medal. I've never seen this one before. Many different medals were struck in 1969 and early 1970's to commemorate Eisenhower. Both in the US and Europe. The "1000" on edge is typically a precious metal fineness reference used by many European mints (Italy, France, etc). More than likely this means pure silver in this instance. It's worth getting this scanned using PMV or XRF just to be sure.

I thought the same about the fineness and the other similar coins were identified with "1000" fineness and the description said pure silver.

Thanks,
MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby stas3000 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:49 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Try "coinoscope"
It allows you to scan the coin and tells you what you have. I used it with coin I can't identify

I've never heard of coinoscope - thanks for the tip!
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics