BWR’s vs. CWR’s

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

BWR’s vs. CWR’s

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:14 pm

I’ve started this thread to discuss BWR’s (bank wrapped rolls) versus CWR’s (customer wrapped rolls).

I’ve never really formally tracked how many of each type of roll I get. I’m assuming those who have a preference would rather get CWR’s as they might get virgin rolls with lots of good dates. I get that- in theory.

Who has actually tracked both roll types to see which is better and how much better?

I’m staring at $13 face in rolled pennies as we speak. $6 are CWR’s and $7 are BWR’s. It would be a royal pain to separate everything (according to BWR and CWR) and report multiple sets of numbers.

And comments you might have would be appreciated.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: BWR’s vs. CWR’s

Postby cwgii » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:42 am

Someone put it well, recently.

BWR ,due to the,,,blending,, of coin from many sources ,,,should,, yield ,,,some,, keepers consistently. Flip side, getting whole boxes of new ,freshly minted.

Policy varies from branch to branch. One will ,Only, give out BWR. Yet others, love to give you the cwr, so they do not have to break it,to ship out. Then there was the one recently that refused to sell my the cwr they were in the process, right in front of me, breaking.

Go figure

While cwr are more feast or famine.
I recently got $12 that were 100% zinc.
A couple months ago, I got rolls that were 90% wheats. Crap shoot.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: BWR’s vs. CWR’s

Postby Silver4face » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:02 pm

I'm surprised this thread wasn't started earlier, especially considering how long this site has been around. But I need to point out that I specifically commented on this issue while posting in another thread just last week. In my comments, I said that BWR's were like singles hitters while CWR's were power hitters who also strike out a lot. For example, I opened a roll of PURE WAR NICKELS 4 years ago, obviously CWR. However, roughly 70 percent of wars are from BWR's.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics