Any Interest in Star Notes?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Any Interest in Star Notes?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:47 pm

I have a few $1 bills that are star notes and am just checking to see if there is any interest before I put something up for sale.

Example: $1 note- series 2017A- serial number G04323963*. Note is probably about XF with no disturbing markings or tears.

I’m guessing I have 3-4 notes total. I don’t want to spend a lot of time on this only to make a tiny profit. So what are you willing to pay? Let’s say you need to include $1.90 shipping and handling for any quantity of notes.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Any Interest in Star Notes?

Postby hobo finds » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:04 pm

hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:12 am

Sorry, but here we are a full 50 days after I posted my message, and you were the very first person with any kind of response. No offense, but saying I may want to hold on to them likely means I will lose out to inflation if I do so. Something can be quite scarce (or, in some cases even rare), but not really be valuable or easy to sell.

Oh well. The silence before your response was deafening.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:39 pm

Well then I guess I am not interested in buying them. Also wanted to note that they may be not making then anymore.
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:26 am

There are PLENTY of things not made anymore that are still not worth saving. Still trying to decide on the star notes, but I may just spend them. If I sit on them for a long time, I’m losing out to inflation each year.

Another item like that is $500 bills and $1,000 bills. I have one $500 bill in average circulated condition and could have sold it for, say, $1,250-1,500 anytime over the roughly 14 years I’ve had it. It has sentimental value to me, so I don’t want to sell unless I get really desperate or get an offer too big to refuse- like five grand.

Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:35 am

I'm guessing it's the amount you have that led to the lack of interest. If you had a couple of strap's worth you may have had some takers. But just three or four? You can get that many at face value in a few day's worth of running errands. Just this month I've found about 15 at work.

The only exceptions would be notes that have very low print amounts or run sizes. The example you listed is very common. Check out Star Note Lookup to see if any of yours have value beyond $1:

https://www.mycurrencycollection.com/re ... tes/lookup

If not, spend 'em.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:56 pm

Thanks for the bill lookup site
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:17 am

coindood wrote:I'm guessing it's the amount you have that led to the lack of interest. If you had a couple of strap's worth you may have had some takers. But just three or four? You can get that many at face value in a few day's worth of running errands. Just this month I've found about 15 at work.

The only exceptions would be notes that have very low print amounts or run sizes. The example you listed is very common. Check out Star Note Lookup to see if any of yours have value beyond $1:

https://www.mycurrencycollection.com/re ... tes/lookup

If not, spend 'em.

Thanks for this!

Recyclersteve

Return to USA Numismatics