Your rookie season - roll searching

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Your rookie season - roll searching

Postby Silver4face » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:05 pm

Many of us here started opening rolls at some point in time regardless of denomination(s) or reasons. Some of us still do. Some a little bit while others a lot. Therefore, I ask, what was your first year of roll searching? (AKA your ROOKIE season). You are welcome to include details if you wish.

My rookie season was 2011. I started small, only buying small amounts per trip. The first day was late April as I bought 10 rolls of pennies and pulled six wheats. (Hard to do that ratio today!). Took the copper back to the bank as I did not start doing the copper thing until July.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Your rookie season - roll searching

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:41 am

My rookie season was decades ago and I can’t really pinpoint a year. That said, the first year where I actually documented roll search results in my Excel spreadsheet was 2004.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:11 am

My rookie season was the late 1970’s, if I had to pin down a year I’d say 1978. I would bike down to the neighborhood bank with a nylon drawstring bank bag that they gave me to pick up rolls of cents. I remember the time at the bank when the new small dollars were about to arrive. I bought a couple just to have, I have always preferred the Ikes.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:49 pm

hirbonzig wrote:My rookie season was the late 1970’s, if I had to pin down a year I’d say 1978. I would bike down to the neighborhood bank with a nylon drawstring bank bag that they gave me to pick up rolls of cents. I remember the time at the bank when the new small dollars were about to arrive. I bought a couple just to have, I have always preferred the Ikes.

I hate to hijack my own thread, but I must agree with you on the Ike's because I feel they are SUPERIOR to all dollar coins that have followed them.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:35 pm

They are unique and Fun. To spend. Like $2 bill's
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:39 pm

Expand. My dad put his change in a ,bank. When it was full. We, I, sorted it, rolled it, went to the bank and deposited the,,,junk.
Being born in 1960. I have hazy memories of age ???5-6. I do know. With the coin, I could count before kindergarten.
cwgii

Postby Country » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:23 am

I think it was 1958. I lived in a small NJ town and a new bank was built about 1/2 mile from my house. I had no money, but my mom lent me $10 so I could go and get 20 rolls of pennies. It was all wheaties then, and you could find some good ones too - like a 1909-s and others in the rolls. I would go to the drive-in window and get rolls over and over again. Just pennies, I couldn't afford searching through silver - too expensive for me then.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby sparechange » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:53 am

1960-61 I would take a few dollars to the bank and buy pennies and/or nickels. The bank was about a mile from my home so I would buy the rolls and sit at the tables they had and search. I would spend an hour or two there just searching(with my coin books spread out) and rerolling until I ran out of $$. All wheatie roll search. Nickel rolls still had many buffalos in them. I didn't know how good I had it at the time.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:39 pm

1966 was my 1st year. I would take birthday money and buy rolls of pennies and then take then refill the ones I didn’t want back to the bank and buy more.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics