Unusual Error- What is this Worth?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Unusual Error- What is this Worth?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:24 am

I have an unusual error I need to ask about.

It is an 1883-O Morgan dollar certified as MS-64 by NGC. Common date and condition. No biggie.

HOWEVER, the label put on the slab by NGC clearly says 1882-O instead of 1883-O. I believe this is the only labeling error like this that I’ve ever seen on a NGC or PCGS coin.

Without saying “it’s worth what someone will pay for it” (too obvious), what do you think something like this should sell for? If it makes any difference, the serial number is 315259-019.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Unusual Error- What is this Worth?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:41 am

I suggest it might be a deduction from the value rather than an enhancement.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:17 am

There is probably someone somewhere that collects that type of error.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:45 am

I myself would have never bought it if it wasn’t for the mistake.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:30 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I myself would have never bought it if it wasn’t for the mistake.

One small, friendly piece of advice: BUY THE COIN, NOT THE HOLDER.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:50 pm

I didn’t pay any premium for the holder- thankfully.

Recyclersteve

Return to USA Numismatics