1889 seated dime, Clashed 'E'

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1889 seated dime, Clashed 'E'

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:52 pm

I went to an auction last night and was there for some Morgan Dollars. I did pick up 2 very nice DMPL Morgans and some other stuff. What I was not expecting was for a little common date seated liberty dime to catch my eye. See if you can see what I saw when I picked it up to examine the coin:

And an outline of what you should be looking at:

A very helpful photo to see how something like this can happen is this:

I've already contacted some experts in the field of seated dimes and I am waiting on their response. The owner of a grading service will be looking at this coin in 2 weeks time.

What do you think about the coin? (grade/condition is unimportant, but feel free to try to make a guess based on the terrible pictures)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: 1889 seated dime, Clashed 'E'

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Oh mike, no way! what a great coin I can see more of the clash on liberty's robe just right of the shield. Man how cool. So what did you have to give and what do you want for it. :D
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:08 pm

I like the way her breasts are lifted and separated. I like the way her dress clings to her legs.

What's a clashed die?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Oh mike, no way! what a great coin I can see more of the clash on liberty's robe just right of the shield. Man how cool. So what did you have to give and what do you want for it. :D

Thank you, sir! :D

I was quite proud of myself for identifying the clash upon walk-through inspection. I won't tell you the exact amount paid, but it was well into the MS range. As for the price tag? hmmm... I'm going to have some experts look long and hard at the shiny disc and tell me what I've got, first. If it is an ultra rarity, it could be as much as 200% of FMV. But I'm having the guy who wrote the book on the seated dime look at it, as well as the TPG owner (he'll be at the PAN show in 2 weeks) I'll have more pricing info on it after then. Feel free to shoot an offer my way. You never know what I might accept.

I could not find reference to this clash at this website: http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/ btw: Gerry has already received an email from me.

If it turns out to be something that the pros haven't seen before, then I'm just the lucky slug who found it. If it's a common clash, then I'm the unlucky slug that may have paid more than what's it's worth to someone else. But, one thing is for sure... If I did not personally like the coin, I'd have never put a bid on it. So, I can't really lose on it.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:59 pm

You think with photos the size of my head I could grade this coin accuratly but I can't ......It helps to have it in ones hand.....What grade do you put it at?
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Since the tips of the breasts (high points)are worn. That might knock it out of mint state contention.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:You think with photos the size of my head I could grade this coin accuratly but I can't ......It helps to have it in ones hand.....What grade do you put it at?

I'm no pro when it comes to seated coins. In my eye, it is BU. But another person that knows more than I, may grade it as AU. To me, this coin never purchased anything for 10 cents. But it was in a bag with other coins and traded hands a few times. There are signs of this on the surfaces

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 pm

I will be at the pancoins show friday the 22nd early.....If you got the coin with you I want to put an eye on it ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXTim » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Very kewl!
Keep us updated!!!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 am

The authority of seated dime varieties, Gerry Fortin, responded that even though the clash is strong, that this is not an ultra rarity. He went on to mention that many of the years can be found with clashes. But, he was not specific regarding the severity of those clashes. He did, however, mention that this particular example was a strong clash.

Regarding a premium... well, though I would like to have been able to turn a big percentage gain from this coin, I do not expect to do so. According to Gerry, there is no premium associated with commonly clashed seated dimes. The only issue at hand it just how "common" this particular clash actually is for this particular year.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics