Double-sided Canada Dime Album?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Double-sided Canada Dime Album?

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Hey everyone. :)

I am considering getting a double-sided album for my Canada dimes, since my other Canada albums (penny/nickel) are already double-sided. After much searching, I'm having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions? (my ESP tells me........that Joe will soon respond)

Also, I read a post in another forum once that said if (any) album has slots where the coin is encased entirely in plastic (Example: the Uni albums), that it can potentially make any coin turn blue/green and it is not recommended for long-term storage. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Last edited by HPMBTT on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Double-sided Canada Dime Album?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:25 pm

I saw the blue-green stuff...it is not pretty in those blue albums.

I think it has more to do with humidity and temperature control than an actual chemical reaction with the plastic. Make sure you put some dissecant where you store your collection and that your have good airflow.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Double-sided Canada Dime Album?

Postby Verbane » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:11 am

HPMBTT wrote:Hey everyone. :)
Also, I read a post in another forum once that said if (any) album has slots where the coin is encased entirely in plastic (Example: the Uni albums), that it can potentially make any coin turn blue/green and it is not recommended for long-term storage. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

This is known as "PVC" damage. The culprit is the elasticizers used to keep the PVC sheets flexible. It leaches into Silver and Copper coins. If you can find an album that has mylar pockets, you would be ok, but I'm not certain they exist. Dansco advertises that their albums use Mylar for the clear windows, which is true, EXCEPT their All plastic album pages designed to hold flips, are PVC... They don't advertise that fact, you have to call their customer service to get that information.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics