Canadian silver dollars

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Canadian silver dollars

Postby bronco2078 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 am

Is there a real market for Canadian Modern silver dollars?

I can get modern Canadian silver dollars for melt at a few local shops but is it possible to flip these at a profit?

Generally I'm referring to post 1980 dollars. Somewhere in the 80's the RCM went stir crazy and began releasing a wide array of oddball dollars. Over a short period they went from 50% to 92.5% to .999 with various weights and questionable subjects.

One shop in particular has a run of about 10 and they don't even seem to have the same packaging from year to year.

Do people actually want to collect these ? Or do they go right to the melt bucket? I know I could sell them at some price on ebay but buying at melt and selling at a 2 dollar profit is sort of a waste of time I think.

Also I can get the 20 dollar 1 oz Olympic coins at melt at times as well as the 5 and 10 dollar Montreal Olympic some times even in sets.

lastly what about the 1967 sterling medallions ?
bronco2078

Re: Canadian silver dollars

Postby MatthewsTech » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Im a fan of the montreal 5 and 10s, but i try to only pay spot for them.
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

Plus earn even more at most online retailers.
MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bronco2078 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 pm

I guess if this thread sat at the top of the section for 2 months and only got 1 reply then demand for these is on the low side :lol:
bronco2078

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't think there is much collector market for these collector coins.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:14 pm

I do buy these, but strictly on my terms. Most come in to the LCSs as part of other collections. My usual buy price is $5 per coin and I've been able to accumulate several rolls. I don't keep any of the boxes, cases and the like as they take up too much room.

Like others, I don't want to make $2 per coins on an individual basis. If I can sell rolls of 20 assorted silver ones and make several bucks per coin, then it'll be worth the effort. People searching eBay for silver and dollar coins will snap these up.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bronco2078 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 am

Know Common Cents wrote:I do buy these, but strictly on my terms. Most come in to the LCSs as part of other collections. My usual buy price is $5 per coin and I've been able to accumulate several rolls. I don't keep any of the boxes, cases and the like as they take up too much room.

Like others, I don't want to make $2 per coins on an individual basis. If I can sell rolls of 20 assorted silver ones and make several bucks per coin, then it'll be worth the effort. People searching eBay for silver and dollar coins will snap these up.

It's a good slow roll strategy . I only save the early 70's packaging and I load newer BU dollars into it as part of a 10 year toner plan. The packaging with the coin sitting on the naked slab of foam has created some amazing color on the early 50% dollars. I fear that mojo might get used up though and it won't work a second time.
bronco2078

Return to Canada Numismatics