Interesting fact about Canadian coins

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Interesting fact about Canadian coins

Postby nero12345 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Just read this one. I guess King Edward the eighth considered his left side to be his best side. In breaking tradition started by King Charles the second to portray each new monarch facing in the direction opposite to his predecessor. He insisted on this himself. So my guess is when the Queen dies that Prince William will face right, assuming he's the King I guess. Just thought it was cool that's all. Got it from the book Striking Impressions, the history of the Canadian Mint.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: Interesting fact about Canadian coins

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:37 pm

neat little fact
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am

Yes... British coins had followed in this tradition for HUNDREDS of years. But Eddie didn't bother with that. Sheesh.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby purple and gold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 am

i have noticed that almost all canadian coinage has the date on the reverse side?
purple and gold

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:02 pm

purple and gold wrote:i have noticed that almost all canadian coinage has the date on the reverse side?

Alot of the coins recently have had the date on the side with the queen. Most of them had special designs on them but in 2002 the regular coins had that as well.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

That is interesting. You learn something new every day.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:17 pm

frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I guess I will start my own bank...accepting collector's coin at their fave value. Thanks for the article.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wolvesdad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:30 am

I thought w US coins or other countries, the direction facing shows if they were deceased or still living when coin was minted. But. Maybe that is paintings or something.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics