War of 1812 coins.

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

War of 1812 coins.

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Today I was looking at the RCM mint website http://www.mint.ca/store/product/product_dynOpt.jsp?itemId=prod1230006 and looking at the war of 1812 coins with my son Franklin. As that I learned my history in the US I did not know that war was the seed for Canada as a nation. I found a great read on that here http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/war-of-1812 from a Canadian view.

Also I did not know that the US got its Planchets from England for Cents and Half cent then see http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/US-Coinage-and-the-War-of-1812.html#Coinage%20Types and we ran out of planchets then.

And that

Half Dismes - None Issued
The production of the half disme (the “dime” spelling did not come into use until 1837) was suspended after 1805. The Mint stopped coining half dismes because of the widespread use of the legal tender Mexican half real (pronounced “ree-all”), worth about six cents face value. Mint officials reasoned that since the public already had an acceptable alternative, further coining of half dismes was not a good use of their limited resources. Half dismes were not minted again until 1829.

Who would think that Mexican half real were in use as legal tender at that time. You have to love all you learn from coins.
Last edited by henrysmedford on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: War of 1812 coins.

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks for the history lesson. :)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:21 pm

here's another one... the white house was burnt down by the people "soon" to be known as Canadians
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:here's another one... the white house was burnt down by the people "soon" to be known as Canadians

Somebody must have set them off with a hockey comment. :lol:

http://beatonna.livejournal.com/132141.html
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tulaneoutlaw » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Anybody buy one of these? They seem a little expensive, but I may just not know better. Would it be worth picking one up? Would it hold its value down the road?
tulaneoutlaw

Postby uthminsta » Tue May 01, 2012 12:44 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Also I did not know that the US got its Planchets from England for Cents and Half cent then

Didn't know we used their planchets, but British money was common in everyday usage, in fact we counterfeited quite a few British pennies and halfpennies from the 1700's.
henrysmedford wrote:the widespread use of the legal tender Mexican half real

Many world coins were in widespread use for a while. There were quite a few laws, over our country's first century or so, that had a lot to say about that. I can't for the life of me find the list I compiled (it was probably a couple years ago) of legislation that each presidency had on which country's coins were legal and when their legal tender status was revoked, etc...
henrysmedford wrote:...further coining of half dismes was not a good use of their limited resources...

Ahh, good ol' common sense!!! Whereas now, if we have limited resources, WE MAKE MORE MONEY.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Bluegill » Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:...the white house was burnt down by the people "soon" to be known as Canadians

Uhh, no, not really. That's pure urban legen, total bunk. :roll:
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu May 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Bluegill wrote:
frugalcanuck wrote:...the white house was burnt down by the people "soon" to be known as Canadians

Uhh, no, not really. That's pure urban legen, total bunk. :roll:

Thats pretty cool... I will learn more about that time period one day
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Lung » Fri May 25, 2012 8:28 am

It's true the white house was torched by the British/Canadian armies, the "white house" is actually red bricks underneath and they painted it white to hide the charring from the fire. The good ole U.S.A. didn't realy care for the uninvited bbq and burned Toronto down, twice!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bluegill » Fri May 25, 2012 10:41 am

Ok, lets clear the air with some facts.

First let's dispel with the myth that the White House is made of red brick. It's not. It's made of light gray sandstone. secondly, to seal the sandstone from the damaging effects of winter freezing, it was sealed with a white sealer right from the start. The White House has been white since before it was even completed.

There are several documented references to the Presidential Palace as it was then called, as being white in color. Both British and American.

1 urban legend exposed as the myth that is...

Now let's get to the biggie.

The Canadians, British North Americans, or what ever you were calling yourselves at the time had nothing to do with the invasion and burning of D.C.

That was executed by a combined force of detachments of the British army fresh from Europe under the command of Major General Robert Ross after the defeat of Napoleon. They were embarked on Vice Admiral Alexander Cochrane's fleet. They joined up with Rear Admiral George Cockburn's fleet of sailors and marines.

This combined force is the force that burned D.C and the White house. The Canadian militia had nothing to do with it.

Since the British North Americans were just that, British, and it is stretching it, but if those born in what is today's Canada were British subjects, and the British burned the White House, then...

By that logic, can the British North Americans/Canadians take credit, and blame, for everything the U.K. has done in its history up through 1947? Actually seeing as how you're still technically British, take credit and blame for everything right up to today?

It should be noted that Major Ross was born in Dublin Ireland. So can the Irish take credit for the burning?

2 myths busted.

This silliness is a recent phenomenon, older British North Americans/Canadians I talk to say they were never taught this myth in school. They were taught the truth, that the British burned it. It seems you British North Americans/Canadians are just as bad at rewriting and revising history as everybody else on this planet.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Lung » Fri May 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Not sure why you just didn't copy/paste everything you read from Wikipedia w/o adding your two cents, no one cares. At the rate America is self-imploding you can take your all high and mighty soon to be China Jr. attitude somewhere else. Hopefully not up here. :)

Insert below:

-Canada rant
-America is the world's protecter tirade

Thx in advance.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Fri May 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Yuck.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Cu Lung wrote:Not sure why you just didn't copy/paste everything you read from Wikipedia w/o adding your two cents, no one cares. At the rate America is self-imploding you can take your all high and mighty soon to be China Jr. attitude somewhere else. Hopefully not up here. :)

Insert below:

-Canada rant
-America is the world's protecter tirade

Thx in advance.

I am just reading this with a grain of salt.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Lung » Sat May 26, 2012 2:03 am

Here to learn a bit more from a wealth of knowledge combined, not put up with haters. Sorry to the yanks out there.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bluegill » Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 am

Cu Lung wrote:Here to learn a bit more from a wealth of knowledge combined, not put up with haters. Sorry to the yanks out there.

If calling out fallacies and false claims makes me a hater in your eyes, so be it. Do what you feel you need to do, I won't take it personal.

If any thing I said in my previous post is untrue, quote it and provide your source that refutes it. I will be more than happy to stand corrected.

As for me being a Canada basher or going on an America is the worlds protector tirade, well, it's quite obvious you don't know me. Seeing as how your new, it might behoove you to read through the old threads, both here and at the old forum and get to know people before making accusations. You will then realize you have made yet another false claim.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Lung » Sat May 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Dude I have nothing against you personally, but that first reply reeked of negative attitude. Happy stacking.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I watched a great show on PBS on the war of 1812. You can see it here --http://video.pbs.org/video/2089393539

Episode: The War of 1812 Full Program

This documentary shows how the glories of war become enshrined in history. How failures are quickly forgotten and how inconvenient truths are ignored forever. With stunning reenactments, evocative animation and the incisive commentary of key experts, The War of 1812 presents the strange and awkward conflict that shaped the destiny of a continent.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics