Uncirculated Canadian war nickels

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Uncirculated Canadian war nickels

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Are Unirculated Canadian war nickels worth setting aside, or would they be hard to sell?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Uncirculated Canadian war nickels

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Canada never made silver nickels of the same size as Current US and Canadian nickels. The silver Canadian nickels was more dime size - never even held one.

For Canadian Nickels - save 1981 and back (pure Ni)
I separate any George VI and the rare George VI (we have a tracking thread for them).
All the Queens from 1981 back (including 1967 Rabbits) go for Ni bullion except the Korean war coins that are plated over steel like the plated WWII nickels with George VIs on them. They look quite different than the pure nickel, CuNi or Ni over steel modern ones - will jump out at you.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 am

JadeDragon wrote: The silver Canadian nickels was more dime size - never even held one.

Funny that we have found two silver Canadian nickels in the last two years here in Oregon.http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27556&hilit=silver+canadian&start=75#p264957 and http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8274&p=179093&hilit=silver#p179093
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:17 am

The 1942 Tombac has some worth see--https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=86
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:42 am

henrysmedford wrote:The 1942 Tombac has some worth see--https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=86

Great guide to all the George VI Nickels. J&M is the big dealer in Vancouver with a large physical store full I stuff I really want.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:59 pm

It seems that the Korean vintage chrome-plated steel nix are least favorite of the bunch. I buy bulk CDN spendables from my LCS and most of the nix are the 1950s steel ones. I've saved a few of those that are truly unc, but so many are scratched and/or showing rust from long ago. Those are stuffed into rolls and are repatriated every time I go to Canada. Perhaps they served a strategic purpose during the Korean War. Now, however, they're just cast-offs.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics