How many active Canadian sorters?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

How many active Canadian sorters?

Postby CanadianNickle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:15 am

Hey. I have been out of the game for like six years. How many of you are sorting coins in Canada right now?
CanadianNickle

Re: How many active Canadian sorters?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Just 99% Canadian nickels. Not looking for any special dates. And, yes, I am prepared for nickel (and other metals) to be in the dumps for years.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:23 am

I'm in the 'Cuse area of NY and put aside every CA cent and 99% nickel I can find sorting. Also interested in your auction.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm in Pennsylvania, not Canada, but I keep every Canadian coin I find. Roll sorting here doesn't yield many Canadian cents, but I get lucky occasionally. My best luck comes from weekly visits to my LCS, where I buy all their 1c, 5c, and 10c coins at face value. In the past 2 months I got 16 KG5 cents, 10 KG5 nickels, and 5 .800 dimes. I also have a lot of unsorted .999 nickels stacked, awaiting enough free time to go through them. I usually find a lot of KG5's in the bulk searching, but it's too time-consuming for me right now. If we get snowed in this winter and the power stays on, I hope to get back into that.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Not active but I use to sort pennies and nickels (look at the nickel tracking thread).

I stopped the nickels because the % were (in 2014) too low and the pennies in 2012.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:43 pm

I sort occasionally. The Ni Nickel percentages suck now. I pull US coins that I find and move them across the border when I need to go down anyway.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby ZenOps » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:15 am

99.9% nickels are about three per roll now. Its only going to continue as the alloy recovery program chugs along.

I've restarted locally as here in Calgary people are down to their last nickel.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:52 pm

You have to be prepared to ignore all the alloy recovery and mint fresh rolls, and there are a lot of them. Often you know to put the coins in your return to bank box before the teller hands them over.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:40 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Just 99% Canadian nickels. Not looking for any special dates. And, yes, I am prepared for nickel (and other metals) to be in the dumps for years.

I meant to say that I live in the U.S. and not very close to the border.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:58 am

I got $20 FV of one and five cent coins from the coin shop for $16 yesterday. I will sort this weekend but I see a few King George's and young Queens.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:42 pm

BUMP! I am curious if there are any ACTIVE Canadian sorters. As an American sorter, I do find a few occasional Canadian coins (pennies and nickels - I do not sort quarters and dimes).
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 am

I might be tempted to do another box of nickels and/or quarters....X-MAS is always a good time.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:20 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:I might be tempted to do another box of nickels and/or quarters....X-MAS is always a good time.

With the photo you have next to your name, I’d think you’d be the KING of active sorters of Canadian coins.

Myself, I’d consider that I’m more of an opportunistic sorter. I’m interested in copper Canadian pennies and the .999 nickels. I’d love to buy several thousand dollars of the nickels, but I want them for 6 cents each or less including freight. So I won’t plan on getting them on this site. I’ll have to source them locally at perhaps a flea market or pawn shop.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:48 pm

6 cents each or less? You will have extreme difficulty, but I wish you luck. You will need to find an individual who simply doesn't know or care.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Silver4face wrote:6 cents each or less? You will have extreme difficulty, but I wish you luck. You will need to find an individual who simply doesn't know or care.

That’s what I’m looking for. Or someone with a tub full of mixed foreign coins that I can cherry pick.

Recyclersteve

Return to Canada Numismatics