Canadian Commemorative Newbie

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Canadian Commemorative Newbie

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:51 am

Hello,
I am from the state of Minnesota and have been actively collecting Canadian commemoratives for a short time. I find the Royal Canadian Mint does a fine job coming up with outstanding themes when it comes to their commemoratives and just love the whole package the mint pulls together to sell their commemoratives, I love anytime the mint does a piedort commemorative. I'm a big fan of those. My question being that being from the United States will that hold me back when comes time to liquidate my collection. Am I putting money in that I will never get back or see a return. If there are any collectors that can lend their experience to my question I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Todd
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Canadian Commemorative Newbie

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Good day,

I am part of a LCC in which this subject of discussion seems to be a recurring theme. The following points should be taken into consideration:

1. The RCM plans to scale down their commemorative coins production because thay have difficulty selling them.
2. Only particular coins do well on the resell market.
3. The RCM only sells through (catalogue-web) or resellers which are offered the coins at a discount, so when they buy back from you, they take into consideration that fact.
4. From the experience of people in my club, when liquidating, not all coins should be offered at the same time and through the same ''channel''. Some should be offered at coin shows, some on EBay and some at LCS. In each case, it seems better to assemble your coins into themes-collection.
5. The botton-line, is that you should buy those coins only if you enjoy them and plan on keeping them. They are not very liquid, and in a hurry you could lose big. Chances of you, making money on the long run is still there but slim.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:30 am

Thank you for your input. The one thing that is a drawback is being here in the United States buying directly from the RCM is quite an additional expense with the cost of shipping being so high I have to rely on eBay as my avenue of choices. I do enjoy my small collection of Canadian commemoratives, but I will have to rethink my whole strategy of collecting them. Stay tune and I will post my latest acquisition.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:23 pm

If you become part of the ''Collector's club'' (I think that is what they call it) you enjoy free shipping. But...you have to order for 1,000$ per year....

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Canada Numismatics