$20 for $20, tax for Americans?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

$20 for $20, tax for Americans?

Postby Silverholic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if Americans get charged for tax on the $20 for $20 Canadian coins? (I see on their website it states that there's no tax for Canadians)
Silverholic
Penny Sorter Member

Re: $20 for $20, tax for Americans?

Postby nero12345 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Silverholic wrote:Does anyone know if Americans get charged for tax on the $20 for $20 Canadian coins? (I see on their website it states that there's no tax for Canadians)

I believe it's no tax for Canada only, Americans pay tax. but shipping is free for Canada and America

Priority access – as a subscriber to the full series, you are guaranteed product availability for these two coins!
Price protection – guaranteed price of $25 per coin for subscribers, with no tax* and free ground shipping**.

Peace of mind

Satisfaction guaranteed – if you’re not completely satisfied with any coin in this series, simply return it for a full refund¹.
Pay as you go – your credit card gets billed only when each coin is shipped.

*Canada only
**Canada and USA
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silverholic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks Nero... I'm surprised with every state and local govt having different tax rates that they would collect taxes from Americans. Oh wait or are you saying they charge Canadian tax? How much is that? Sorry for all the sophomoric questions.. Working on a deal and trying to figure out if I should do it or just buy it outright. (And hopefully by posting here help other people too)
Silverholic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby nero12345 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:49 am

Silverholic wrote:Thanks Nero... I'm surprised with every state and local govt having different tax rates that they would collect taxes from Americans. Oh wait or are you saying they charge Canadian tax? How much is that? Sorry for all the sophomoric questions.. Working on a deal and trying to figure out if I should do it or just buy it outright. (And hopefully by posting here help other people too)

I think because this falls under investment grade silver is why we don't pay tax here in canada. I'm thinking it has something to do with shipping it across the boarder that there's tax for Americans, but I'm not certain on that one. We all get charged a federal tax (5%) on almost any goods and services and most provinces have a provincial tax as well. Nothing surprises me canadian taxes, or just taxes in general. I may be wrong and maybe this was only for this coin, but something rings a bell about this question on a previous fourm here on RC and I'm pretty sure this was how it played out that Americans had to pay tax.

Cheers, Owen
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:02 am

Silverholic wrote:Does anyone know if Americans get charged for tax on the $20 for $20 Canadian coins? (I see on their website it states that there's no tax for Canadians)

An order shipping to the US is not subject to Canadian sales tax, and they do not collect any US sales tax.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Are these 20 for 20 coins worth anything? I bought a few of the first few that came out, but they seemed to lose favor when it was learned that they couldn't be turned in for 20 dollars...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:18 pm

I've got one, just because. Seem to remember a deal or sale when they first came out. Most likely posted in the archives here somewhere.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:58 am

I have a "few". I've not tried it but they have a $20 face value so I am sure you could spend them like a $20 bill in a few places. I'd take them in payment over paper in a second (Gresham's Law). We don't pay tax on them in Canada.

I figure they are better then money in the bank with the possibility silver in them goes above $20 someday and zero possibility the face value goes below my cost. Similar logic to the copper pennies I bought for a penny, but these are shiny clean silver with no sorting required. Miles earned on the credit car purchase are a nice bonus.

I wish my grandparents had saved me buckets of circulation silver coins acquired at face value when the silver in them was worth less then face, so why not collect buckets of $20/$50/$100 coins at face that are pure silver even though melt is currently below face value?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 am

I bought some from the mint when they first started these. There are no taxes when shipped to the USA. Back then the Canadian dollar was about equal to the US dollar. Now they have decreased in value due to the drop in value of both silver and the Canuckerland dollar, so I don't like them so much anymore.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Silverholic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:50 am

I bought a bunch of silver from someone on another forum and in the lot got 2 $20 for $20 and one $25 for $25. Gave the two $20 for $20 away as gifts to my niece and nephew (superman and bugs) but I have a painted $25 for $25 Canadian flag... Don't care for it and don't plan to travel to Canada soon... Was thinking of trading it to someone for the new t-Rex $20 for $20 to give as a gift again but since there's no tax or shipping I might as well just buy it. Thanks for the info everybody.
Silverholic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm

The trex coins are pretty cool. They look good in person too. Where else can you get a dino coin?

If a person even thinks about buying RCM collector coins these are a bargain. Other silver coins go for $80+ and have a much lower face value to cost. I don't expect any of the other collector stuff to go up in value either, and don't buy it. These allow me to collect interesting coins at a low cost. Someday silver melt will exceed face, and until then I can enjoy them more then $79 versions.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Canada Numismatics