Error Canadian Dime

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Error Canadian Dime

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Several years ago I set aside a strange Canadian Dime, and just refound it. It is about the same diameter as a regular dime but no reeds on the edge. Edge looks just like a Canadian Nickel. It is also about the thickness of a Canadian Nickel! Dated 1986 and in similar circulated comdition as your average dime of that year. The strike seems a little weak and uneven.

The RCM does a lot of contract work for governments around the world, so I'm guessing the wrong plancet got in the dime production process.

Would you have it graded or certified or just stick it in a 2x2? Any special value to an oddity like this?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: Error Canadian Dime

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

I would ask George Manz http://www.georgemanzcoins.com/canadian/errors.html he is President of the Regina Coin Club and hold memberships among many coin clubs and assocations around the world. Also could you post a photo.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:51 am

What is the weight?
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Verbane wrote:What is the weight?

Good question. I don't have a precise enough scale. It looks like Ni just like Nickels and Dimes of that year.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Is it magnetic ?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:03 pm

picture?
knibloe
Post Hoarder