Bought a Thogey's Kid's collection at face today (photo)

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Bought a Thogey's Kid's collection at face today (photo)

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Popped into a bank today to swap some quarters for dimes and mentioned I was a coin collector - my new mode of operation after scoring 2 x $1000 bills, a stack of other old bills, and a $100 silver coin last week. Teller says "someone brought in some silver, you want to buy it?" Well what she thought was silver was mostly 1968 and 1969 Nickel dollars in original mint plastic, but then came out an $88 bag of $0.50 and $1 coins. I'd come for a box of dimes but they were short on those, so then asked for other quarters and they were short there too (mainly wrapped after the allot recovery sort) so asked for Nickels. They bring out some really interesting rolls... so I look in the window and say give me those other rolls of nickels too that look similar to these.

SCORE:

15 rolls original bank wrapped 1967 and 1968 Ni nickels. Some rolls still have the original crimp on both ends - truly untouched after they were rolled and supplied to the banks (CIBC, Royal, and a private firm name)
$50 in 1968 and 1969 Ni $1, mint sealed strips of 5 coins
$76 in assorted Ni 1/2s and $1 coins (limited extra value)
12 x $1 1971 Centennial of BC joining Canada 50% Silver dollars in near mint shape each with 0.375 Troy ounces of silver = 4.5 ounces for $12.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Also pulled 31 Ni Nickels from 15 rolls of random CWR. Quarters and Dimes were a total bust other then 50 cents worth of US coin.

I was told a senior citizen turned them in after cleaning out their dead father's place. I suspect they sold or kept the silver but missed that these special 1971 dollars were actually silver - not hard to do if you think all silver ended in 1965-66 or 67. For me the toning and color was a dead giveaway for silver.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: Bought a collection at face today (photo)

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:00 pm

lucky leap day !

:thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics