Does TD Canada still have coin counters?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Does TD Canada still have coin counters?

Postby fb101 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:26 pm

I just made a stop at a TD in Delaware and was informed that they have done away with coin counters. Still I have some Canadian coin I was planning on dumping on a trip up there. Here we now have to roll coins so I wonder if I will have to roll before visiting Canada. If so I have to find some place to get a lot of Canadian paper wrappers.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Does TD Canada still have coin counters?

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:11 pm

I haven't got a clue as I don't have a TD within 80 miles. We just roll all ours by hand as it is a family evening.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:26 am

All TD coin coin counters recently closed I understand. They claimed they were inaccurate.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:03 pm

I can't speak for TD, but I do have an account at RBC. One usually follows the other. When I take coin to Canada, it all has to be rolled. It's really not that tough to do as I watch a game (baseball, football, etc.) and place them in small stacks during commercials or less interesting moments. Easy to roll from there.

I take all my rolls (last batch totaled over 600$ CDN). No muss, no fuss. The teller tallies up the denominations and then asks if I want the bills in CDN funds or converted to US dollars. Even a split between them is just fine.

I was there just 7 weeks ago. I get more respect by bank tellers in Canada than I do here in the US. The RBC tellers don't weigh the rolls, require my account number on them or anything else. I do know that all the rolled cents, nickel dollar coins and old damaged currency (1954 and 1973 series) are shipped to Ottawa for smelting or destruction.

No one needs Canadian coin rolls at RBC. I put together rolls of loonies and toonies and wrap them in plain white paper. While I securely seal the ends and write the face amount $25 or $50 on them, that's it.

I believe the statement about the coin counters is true. Think for a moment about all the different coin compositions still in circulation in Canada. No way it can discriminate between all of the weights and metal compositions. BTW, you don't need Canadian coin wrappers. Get a few from your bank. I have a greater need for them and purchase larger amounts from bank supply places, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Oh yes. As a last resort, you could also deposit your rolled coin in my RBC account. I'd thank you profusely.

Good luck with the exchange. KCC
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics