20 for 20 coins... exit strategy?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

20 for 20 coins... exit strategy?

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 pm

So I own a few of these. They make nice gifts and rewards for kids and it allows me to collect RCM coins at a lot less then the other issues - like $20 instead of $79. But how does one sell them? http://canadiancoinnews.com/legal-tende ... ing-heads/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: 20 for 20 coins... exit strategy?

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 am

I think these are a long term hold. By the time you have to sell, hopefully they are either collectible enough to sell on feeBay at a nice premium or silver prices have surpassed $80/oz for you to get bullion value and still profit. Worst comes to worst, you should be able to get face value for them (at least in theory and probably in limited locations in Canada............that might or might not have others lining up to do the same depending on market conditions)
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 am

I would find that portion of The Currency Act that "specifies that it is not the Mint, but the government of Canada that is responsible for redeeming coins." along with the part that says the coins are legal tender in Canada.

And include it with the coins and my tax returns when paying what I owed in taxes.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 am

I like the coins as well. I bought several for myself and my family at Christmas. I would buy more (potentially lots more) if their legal status was cleared up.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm

One day I was asking for weird or old coins at a bank and they said "we have some silver" which of course is music to my ears. I ended up buying a few $20 for $20 coins and some pre-loonie dollars etc from the bank. So it is possible to deposit them at some branches because evidently that is how I ended up with some of my collection.

I also expect you could spend them at a coin shop or the RCM store but have not asked.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby coppernickel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I got one as part of a trade. They look and feel too much like the old silver quarters.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Sell them on here
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:Sell them on here

That is the best plan. :thumbup:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:42 am

Apparently you can redeem them at the mint. The program has been cancelled and the Mint is loosing money on the redemptions. I doubt a lot of people are going directly to the mint, more likely depositing at RBC or other banks. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/ro ... -1.4119986
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Canada Numismatics