Canadian Nickels

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Canadian Nickels

Postby Sanford02 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm

I recently got my hands on a bunch of "unsorted' canadian nickels. There is a solid mix of all compositions. I am obviously keeping the .999 nickel ones for my nickel stack....the steel ones I will probably try to redeem for face value.

is there any reason to keep the CuNi ones? Especially the 2006 CuNi variety? Is the ARP going to reduce the numbers of these enough to make them numismatically valuable?
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Canadian Nickels

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Keep the following:

Pre-82
1990 for the bare belly variety
1991 for low mintage
1994 for sunray variety
1996 for attached 6 variety
2000P for mintage
2005 V design for the coolness

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:39 am

Sanford02 wrote:is there any reason to keep the CuNi ones? Especially the 2006 CuNi variety? Is the ARP going to reduce the numbers of these enough to make them numismatically valuable?

No and No. There is a gazzilion of them and since the number of mint sealed sets sold each year vastlly exceeds the secondary market demand, circulated stuff is not going to have extra value.

If anyone wants to exchange Canadian coin for Canadian dollars (or convert to US$)into your paypal account, you can mail me coins to my US address and I’ll pay 90 cents on the dollar. No need to count of roll as I can dump them in a Canadian coin counter. Just a service I offer to American members here to help them monitoze Canadian coins they get in the US. various ways.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:29 am

JadeDragon wrote:
Sanford02 wrote:is there any reason to keep the CuNi ones? Especially the 2006 CuNi variety? Is the ARP going to reduce the numbers of these enough to make them numismatically valuable?

No and No. There is a gazzilion of them and since the number of mint sealed sets sold each year vastlly exceeds the secondary market demand, circulated stuff is not going to have extra value.

If anyone wants to exchange Canadian coin for Canadian dollars (or convert to US$)into your paypal account, you can mail me coins to my US address and I’ll pay 90 cents on the dollar. No need to count of roll as I can dump them in a Canadian coin counter. Just a service I offer to American members here to help them monitoze Canadian coins they get in the US. various ways.

I might take you up on that offer after I get all the sorting completed. Thanks!
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:27 pm

BUMP! Is anyone in Canada still sorting nickels or finding anything in the wild? If so, are you keeping/selling or dumping the CuNi ones?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics