10,000 fake Toonies found

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

10,000 fake Toonies found

Postby JadeDragon » Tue May 10, 2022 2:59 am

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/thousands-of ... -1.5895256. Important parts of the article follow

Sean Davidson

CTV News Toronto Multi-Platform Writer
Published May 9, 2022 12:09 p.m. PDT
An Ontario man has been charged after approximately 10,000 counterfeit toonies were discovered circulating in Canada.
According to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), an investigation was launched in the summer of 2021 after the Royal Canadian Mint discovered an "ongoing counterfeit currency issue through their random sampling process."

Police said through the investigation, the RCMP seized approximately 10,000 counterfeit toonies, which had been placed into the Canadian banking system.

According to police, there may be additional counterfeit coins still in the currency system.

Police said the seized counterfeit two-dollar coins can be distinguished by their primary characteristic flaw of having a "split-toe" on the right front paw of the Polar Bear, which resembles a "claw."
"The unique features on Canada's circulation coins make them among the most secure in the world and allowed these counterfeit pieces to be identified and removed from circulation quickly," James Malizia, Vice-President of Corporate Security at the Royal Canadian Mint, said in a statement Monday. "The Royal Canadian Mint will continue to work closely with financial institutions and the RCMP to ensure the integrity of Canada's coin supply."
The RCMP said they arrested 68-year-old Richmond Hill man Daixiong He, who has been charged with uttering counterfeit money and possession of counterfeit money.
According to police, he was arrested and released on an undertaking. He will appear in a Newmarket court on June 2.
The charges have not been proven in court.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: 10,000 fake Toonies found

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue May 10, 2022 6:29 am

"uttering counterfeit money"
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue May 10, 2022 11:36 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:"uttering counterfeit money"

I had to look that one up. It’s apparently a legal term. Here’s what I found at Dictionary.com.

noun Law.
the crime of knowingly tendering or showing a forged instrument or counterfeit coin to another with intent to defraud.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed May 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Thanks, I just thought it sounded funny.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bankmining » Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Me too. I thought maybe a cow was involved in this criminal activity before I looked closer and realized it was uttering not uddering.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri May 13, 2022 10:13 am

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Canada Numismatics