Help is this true the nickel in Canadian coins is from Cuba?

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Re: Help is this true the nickel in Canadian coins is from C

Postby psi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:42 am

Canada's annual nickel production seems to be second only to Russia, so it would surprise me if the nickel in Canadian coins was mostly from Cuba, although it sounds from your links like some may have come from there. It's interesting that a country with as small a land mass as Cuba would be a major player in the nickel trade though. Looking at some recent-ish stats (http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commoditie ... l_t10.html), New Caledonia is another tiny nation that produces an awful lot of nickel for its size. My understanding is that most of the nickel in Canada is found in a fairly small area as well, mostly around Sudbury, Ontario where a giant meteorite once crashed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Basin
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:20 pm

So maybe the nickel is actually from out-of-this-world... hmmm...
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Corsair » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 pm

uthminsta wrote:So maybe the nickel is actually from out-of-this-world... hmmm...

That's why I'm stocking up on it. Maybe I can make a buck, maybe I can barter my way out of some unpleasant probings.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics