Some people are looking for a sign...

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Some people are looking for a sign...

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I’m not someone who looks in a crystal ball and points to one event telling all who will hear me that this was straw that broke the camels back. However, I do see all that is happening like endless waves crashing on our shores which have eroded things to a point that we will certainly start seeing more and more damage.

One prime example this week is seeing Alabama's Jefferson County that will likely have to declare bankruptcy and will be the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history $4.1 billion which is more than double the previous record set by Orange County, Calif., for a municipal bankruptcy. Congratulations Alabama!

Also California recently borrowed $5.4 billion from private investors Tuesday as a hedge against a possible default by the federal government. Now wasn't that sweet of them to do....

Back on May 21st of 2010 an article from zero hedge stated: 32 States Now Officially Bankrupt: $37.8 Billion Borrowed From Treasury To Fund Unemployment; CA, MI, NY Worst
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/32-sta ... ca-mi-ny-w

Interesting how the media has not said a peep huh!

I am excited, aren't you? Guess what boys and girls this is just the beginning! Wait to you see what the FDIC and other wonderful government institutions have in store for you this fall.

Break out the marshmallows and chocolate bars....I feel it heating up!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Some people are looking for a sign...

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 pm

I guess the riots will have to break out in full force here before everyone wakes up. I see it in London and I think, this is the same county where the vast majority of the time the police don't carry a gun and the population has been disarmed with the exception of the criminals.

We are living in a crazy world at the moment with little to no real leadership. :cry:
Copper Catcher

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Weve got leadership. they are just confused who they actually work for imo...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Treetop wrote:Weve got leadership. they are just confused who they actually work for imo...

Oh, there's no confusion at all. They KNOW who they work for... but have to employ subterfuge so that the public believes it is them. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:53 am

Jefferson Co. has been in the spotlight for some time, now. At least 3 years in regards to this debacle. They built a massive sewage infrastructure that was not generating enough revenue to pay even the interest on the loans... sound familiar? Consider the city of Birmingham, AL to be enslaved to whomever bails them out (if that happens). It will become one of the worst cities in which to live. What a shame. Great place with better people.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:03 am

Market Harmony wrote:Jefferson Co. has been in the spotlight for some time, now. At least 3 years in regards to this debacle. They built a massive sewage infrastructure that was not generating enough revenue to pay even the interest on the loans... sound familiar? Consider the city of Birmingham, AL to be enslaved to whomever bails them out (if that happens). It will become one of the worst cities in which to live. What a shame. Great place with better people.

Hmmm. I had wondered where Jefferson County Ala was, but hadn't looked it up, didn't realize it was Birmingham. I almost moved there to take a job in 1983, instead of Florida. Seemed like a great little town. That sucks for it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Jefferson Co. has been in the spotlight for some time, now. At least 3 years in regards to this debacle. They built a massive sewage infrastructure that was not generating enough revenue to pay even the interest on the loans...
I keep wondering if someone with lots of money is pressuring the politicians to get the various alphabet agencies to enforce the regulations more strictly exactly to force towns to take out those big loans.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 am

I think the reason you dont' see riots in American much is that it's so big. England's a small country. Something happens, it effects you more.

In the US it's easy to blame everything on 'washington' and move on with your life. It seems like a far away place and so people feel less obligated to do something about it themselves. Also, in terms of living, most people arn't starving yet. Life isn't bad enough for the average person to get people worked up as a group yet.

And we have this wonderful media, that helps us connect when things do happen. Look at Wisconsin and how large a protest there was there, compared to how much news coverage it got. Disgusting.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Jefferson Co. has been in the spotlight for some time, now. At least 3 years in regards to this debacle. They built a massive sewage infrastructure that was not generating enough revenue to pay even the interest on the loans... sound familiar? Consider the city of Birmingham, AL to be enslaved to whomever bails them out (if that happens). It will become one of the worst cities in which to live. What a shame. Great place with better people.

Matt Taibbi recently wrote an article dealing with the Jefferson Co. debacle. Haven't read the article yet, but Max Kieser interviewed him a couple days ago. Very much worth watching.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby smalltimeopn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Treetop wrote:Weve got leadership. they are just confused who they actually work for imo...

Yes, they are too busy going on vacation :D
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions