~ Solar Storm Expected to Hit Earth Tomorrow ~

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

~ Solar Storm Expected to Hit Earth Tomorrow ~

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:50 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2 ... /15415827/

Back-to-back solar flares prompt strong geomagnetic storm watch i.e. the CME aka Coronal Mass Ejection is expected to pass the Earth's magnetosphere mid to late day on September 12h. It follows the September 9th CME which is expected to arrive early on September 12.

A G3 (Strong) Geomagnetic Storm Watch has been issued for September 13th due to the combined influence of these two events with G1 (Minor) storming anticipated to continue into September 14th.

So what does this mean for us....Well boys and girls there many be power grid issues coming soon to a hemisphere near you!

Some in scientific community believe that there is a link between the geomagnetic activity (magnetic storms) and acceleration of the earthquake’s occurrence. It is not claimed that geomagnetic storm is a primary cause of any earthquake. However if conditions for an earthquake are ‘ripe’, then solar storm could be a trigger (not the cause) for it, and bring it forward for few hours or days.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: ~ Solar Storm Expected to Hit Earth Tomorrow ~

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Some in scientific community believe that there is a link between the geomagnetic activity (magnetic storms) and acceleration of the earthquake’s occurrence. It is not claimed that geomagnetic storm is a primary cause of any earthquake. However if conditions for an earthquake are ‘ripe’, then solar storm could be a trigger (not the cause) for it, and bring it forward for few hours or days.

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the warning. I should probably go fill up some gas cans for the generator.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:16 pm

That would be a good idea. :thumbup:
Copper Catcher

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:28 pm

OK then, I should probably pack heat tomorrow. Oh wait, I pretty much do anyway :thumbup:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Ok so I should go buy some silver.

Any excuse to keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 am

Did not even get to see any Northern Lights! Very disappointed. Really hoping to see some one of these days.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:16 pm

I haven't heard much further discussion on this particular storm, but the wife and I left on vacation on the morning of the 12th and got back this past Tuesday the 23rd. She left her car, a relatively low mile 2009 Acura MDX parked in the drive. It was fine when we left. When we got back the engine electronics are dead. (The exact diagnosis awaits the arrival of the first part to be dealt with, the electronic throttle body, which doesn't arrive until Monday.)

Coincidence? Who knows.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions