No Korea's cyber attack

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

No Korea's cyber attack

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Question.

Do you think it is appropriate for the U.S. to respond (looks as if we already have) to their attack on a private company?

Hell I thought Sony was a Japanese company. But what do I know?

Wouldn't it follow previous liberal rhetoric to treat these things as criminal acts?

So is it OK to escalate this using federal and defense infrastructure?

It's not like they dropped a bomb.

I don't know :? How do you feel about this situation?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: No Korea's cyber attack

Postby brian0918 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 pm

They're committing massive fraud against American citizens and threatening physical harm against sites in America. And Sony Pictures is American. The government should have been retaliating from the very beginning.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Just makes people want to watch the movie all that much more... drum beating of hatred towards N. Korea because they do not prescribe to the Western Way. Laughing at taking him out just makes it easier to accept the possibilities
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Looks pretty Japanese to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

I don't have a dog in the fight one way or another. The N Korean's are a bunch of $hit heads and sooner or later someone is going to have to hand their ass to them.

I'm just wondering if this is consistent. Example, Terrorist linked to Iran attack a Halliburton refinery or depot somewhere and George Bush sends in an airstrike to f some stuff up in Iran, (ala Reagan style in Lybia F-111s kill kadaffi's son etc).

Would it play out the same? Why is this not a criminal act? Let the global judicial system work? Like prosecuting terrorists.

I know what I would do if president but that's me. I'm a barbarian.
Last edited by Thogey on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:14 pm

BTW if the CIA, NSA or some other government organization did this, especially so fast. It is a great piece of power projection, and if it is a cyberwar let's a least try to win it and not capitulate to the first sign of global indignation.

Get ready there could be a proxy counter strike, that could hurt us all. Is escalation worth it? Is Sony worth it?

I think this will play out very quickly, at cyber speed!
Thogey

Postby natsb88 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Sony Pictures makes the movies, they are a US subsidiary of the gigantic Japanese Sony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictu ... ertainment
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 pm

natsb88 wrote:Sony Pictures makes the movies, they are a US subsidiary of the gigantic Japanese Sony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictu ... ertainment

So would Japan be inclined to retaliate? They are closer. Maybe they just clipped some wires.
Thogey

Postby brian0918 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Was Columbia Pictures an American company? How about the day after Sony bought them? Did all the employees become Japanese? Did the company move to Japan? Did they start producing anything in Japan?

The people who had their personal records stolen and publicly released were all American. The people who are being threatened with attacks are American. Their rights were violated. The government should respond.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Maybe Sony did it?
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:27 pm

hobo finds

Postby silverflake » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:51 pm

I think we should just bomb the movie. Any movie with Seth Rogan is a piece of junk IMHO.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Its a good thing I'm not in charge. My motto is Nuke early, nuke often.

These piss ant countries have no business screwing with a superpower.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 pm

It doesn't matter who owns Son Pictures. We can't let someone else decide what movies we watch, or what books we read, etc.

BTW, the premise of the movie is kind of lame (make a joke about killing someone).

Also, it's kind of wimpy if the US shut down their internet and isn't taking credit for it. I'd come right out and say we are going to cut them off (shut down the internet and jam communications) for a few months or until they make restitution.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:15 am

Thogey wrote:Looks pretty Japanese to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

The N Korean's are a bunch of $hit heads and sooner or later someone is going to have to hand their ass to them.

Just because the government is run by a dictator doesn't mean the people (citizens) of North Korea are bad. In fact, I can't think of a single person I know personally who is from or has ever been to North Korea. My relatives were too old to fight in Korea- they were WWII types.

Think about Germany- lots of people hated Hitler, but that didn't mean that all German people were bad. I've been to Germany a few times and the people there were wonderful. Now France, on the other hand, well the people there were just plain rude and my wife, who speaks some French, will echo that sentiment. But I don't know how we can really have enough information to judge the people of North Korea, except for Kim Jong Whatshisface... Just my own two cents.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:23 am

It's all quite interesting. Associated with the military, we have from the Cyber Patriots training program going on in the Civil Air Patrol where our young men and women compete out to a national level. To the public sector where groups like Anon, a decentralized group of citizens who perform the spectrum of "good" activism to "bad" hack your identity and other such stuff to governments cyber attacking each other. In this age of humanity's achieving it's highest tech-knowledgy, being able to steal information, shut down the other guys computing ability and the services associated is a most powerful weapon.

A young person could do a whole lot worse than a career in cyber security and condoned hacking.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:59 am

brian0918 wrote:They're committing massive fraud against American citizens and threatening physical harm against sites in America. And Sony Pictures is American. The government should have been retaliating from the very beginning.

I agree with this. If we do not do something, it shows weakness (real or perceived). Weakness only invites more attacks. I also believe that if we did it, being covert about it is the way to go. Keep them guessing. Coming out and saying we did it makes us look bad on the world stage and encourages others to try and figure out how we did it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:31 am

There is a lot about this subject I don't know, but this is what I do know. Kim Jong Un, his crony's, and political system are hardly good guys but:

The source of information linking North Korea (NK) to the Sony cyber attack is our government. Consider the source and I consider our government a poor one. From what I can find, there has been no proof released proving NK did it. Sony seems to have poor cyber security.

When we speak of fraud and having our rights violated, I think "who has hurt my country, my friends and family the worst". Kim Jong Un does not come to mind and it takes no magic to remove the veil of distraction keeping me from looking back to the fraud perpetrated by the banking industry in the: Forex; interest rate fixing; gold price fixing; money laundering; IPO conflict of interest; selling toxic mortgages; etc. for which I've seen lots of fines but no jail time. Worse however is our own governments fraud against US (you and me) for every dollar created out of thin air, every young man and women sent to the middle east to go fight the international (oil) interests of our Empire, every trillion dollar$ of debt we allow, and the marriage between our government and the corporations that now own our "servants". It was called corporatism by Benito Mussolini or fascism. Thank you Sinclair Lewis for showing us this our own special form of fascism hidden behind and wrapped in an American Flag with a cross carried in the other hand to distract us.

On the other hand, we now have a new (new for now this time around) scapegoat we have no problem thumping our chests at as they are truly the shat headed, piss ant, cockroaches that should be stamped into the earth with our boots that we think they are. Of course it's a whole lot easier to be entertained by Sony and her Network and hate people on the other side of the world who are different from us that we never met or knew personally, than to be aware and stare our "new normal" reality in the face and try to figure out how the hell we are going to get the next several generations of our children and grand children out from under it.

Yes, we should empower our government more to do something. We wouldn't want to appear weak or look bad.

With apologies to the membership who are getting tired of my rant and to those from whom I have borrowed words. It's not personal, it just gives me something to work with. I am truly grateful to have this venue to express myself. And of course, other views, ideas and expressions encouraged.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:45 pm

There is nothing our government could gain from falsely laying blame on NK. You dont need to pretend NK is a threat, they have made it clear they are. I see this much different then some of the above comments. Our gov downplayed this immensely, no saber rattling. The semi free world just had its eye poked from one of the fully tyrannical nations. We already have fought a proxy war through NK with russia in the past. Meanwhile russia is clearly building up for a real war on several fronts. As is china. As corrupt as our country and the west in general has become, loosing this longer struggle against these various tyrannies would make the fascism of the west look benign to say the least. this clash of cultures is far from over.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:11 pm

I think the Bush's and/or Clinton's are a bigger threat to me and my loved ones than North Korea.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:16 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I think the Bush's and/or Clinton's are a bigger threat to me and my loved ones than North Korea.

Then I doubt you are paying much attention to international politics.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Treetop wrote:
blackrabbit wrote:I think the Bush's and/or Clinton's are a bigger threat to me and my loved ones than North Korea.

Then I doubt you are paying much attention to international politics.

:?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:34 pm

USA military spending 2011: $741,200,000,000
N. Korea military spending 2011: $10,000,000,000
That is over 74 times the amount.
The US military could destroy all of North Korea in minutes if really needed. I don't think they are a threat at all. I think there is constant propaganda put out to demonize any non-western banker controlled region of the planet.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:36 pm

One (clinton or bush) would seek to continue the corruption the american public isnt ready to break anyway. The other is a complete tyranny geared for war with capable allies who are also gearing for war and making reference to the time when we cant essentially use debt to keep our presence on the world stage. All the makings of ww3. You think the cold war is over or that china isnt on board? Then you arent paying attention. 300million deaths would be a great boon to china.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 pm

blackrabbit wrote:USA military spending 2011: $741,200,000,000
N. Korea military spending 2011: $10,000,000,000
That is over 74 times the amount.
The US military could destroy all of North Korea in minutes if really needed. I don't think they are a threat at all. I think there is constant propaganda put out to demonize any non-western banker controlled region of the planet.

except if we fight them it is because we are also at war with china and russia. Based on what they say not any propaganda, theyve made it clear this would happen when our proverbial pants our down economically which is basically inevitable atm.

Its sounds to me you read a few opinion articles about this then the actual actions taken by NK, russia and china in this regard. Rather then propaganda to build up animosity it is drastically downplayed in western media compared to what is actually happening and being said in their own medias.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:45 pm

The US military can destroy the solar system many times over. No one would dare mess with the USA on it's home turf, besides the insiders in power.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions