Stock: Globe Life (GL)

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Stock: Globe Life (GL)

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:50 pm

Check out Dallas area insurance company Globe Life (GL) and what happened Thursday. Closed Wed. at $104. Opened Thurs. at $98 and went to $38.95 at 3pmish ET before bouncing.

Allegations included selling policies to dead people and fictitious people, other accounting irregularities, rampant drug abuse (cocaine) and rape within the company, etc. Supposedly Warren Buffett sold all his shares last year after holding for something like 10-12 years. Also, someone warned senior execs at least 200 times with no response. Fuzzy Panda wrote a hit piece, and their track record has been solid over the years (Red Violet is the only exception I can find).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Stock: Globe Life (GL)

Postby Silver4face » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:28 pm

"Selling policies to dead people and fictitious people"
I am wondering how many other companies are doing this. After all, there are thousands of insurance companies on this planet.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:39 pm

How do you get the dead people to pay? I dont understand this.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:44 am

TXSTARFIRE wrote:How do you get the dead people to pay? I dont understand this.

I'm thinking they created these fictional clients to make their financials "look" strong so they could maintain their banking relationships and continue to borrow and use leverage to keep the party going just one more year, just one more quarter.

If there were allegations of rape though...why didn't the po-po get involved?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions