The Collapse will be Sudden

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: The Collapse will be Sudden

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Here's a link to more "light" reading! Another good book is "Patriots" by J.W. R. - the author of the aforementioned blog.

http://survivalblog.com/bookshelf/
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Recently finished reading my copy of "Communities that Abide" by Orlov. I pulled the following from the book as it seems to reflect what I see in our community of RC. At least to the extent as is possible with a virtual community. There is much more to the book than this, but I see this as the single most important quality of a community that will survive into the future. The paperback edition is sold out but I understand Kindle is available. Most all the book can be found in sections on the web if you look around:

" . . . a well-designed community can provide everything its members need: housing, nutrition, education, medicine, entertainment, companionship, social security and, perhaps most important of all, a sense of belonging. To people who live with the feeling that they belong to a cohesive community, where each member puts the interests of the whole ahead of their own individual interest, this is an incredible source of power. Social security, not in the sense of receiving a promised check from an anonymous institution, but in the sense of being tied in with the people around you through an informal web of obligations of mutual self-help, is equally important . . ."

Part one can be found here: http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2013/07/c ... art-i.html
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:23 am

Shazbot57 wrote:Here's a link to more "light" reading! Another good book is "Patriots" by J.W. R. - the author of the aforementioned blog.

http://survivalblog.com/bookshelf/

Not that's a comprehensive list!!! :shock: :lol: :clap:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silverfondler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:08 am

Just a spectator in this thread. A lot of information and valid points! Just wanted to say thanks for a great Monday AM read! I do have one suggestion/comment. When thinking/prepping about your home in time of crisis. First you need to decide if you are staying or bugging out. Next, if you are staying my suggestion is think medieval. As in medieval - low-tech - security. It will help in turning your home into a mini-fortress complete with highly effective low-tech security!

Thanks for the good read!
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 am

Silverfondler wrote:Just a spectator in this thread. A lot of information and valid points! Just wanted to say thanks for a great Monday AM read! I do have one suggestion/comment. When thinking/prepping about your home in time of crisis. First you need to decide if you are staying or bugging out. Next, if you are staying my suggestion is think medieval. As in medieval - low-tech - security. It will help in turning your home into a mini-fortress complete with highly effective low-tech security!

What particular things did you have in mind? Digging a moat around my apartment would be frowned upon by the landlords :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 am

It think he is alluding to man-traps. Quite effective, but also very illegal.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

Silverfondler wrote:Just a spectator in this thread. A lot of information and valid points! Just wanted to say thanks for a great Monday AM read! I do have one suggestion/comment. When thinking/prepping about your home in time of crisis. First you need to decide if you are staying or bugging out. Next, if you are staying my suggestion is think medieval. As in medieval - low-tech - security. It will help in turning your home into a mini-fortress complete with highly effective low-tech security!

Truer words were never spoken - Though they did make me smile! My wife and I have an expression regarding marauders/"unwelcome visitors"- "We're gonna go Medieval on their asses!"
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silverfondler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Just trying to push you guys down other avenues of your prepping that you maybe have thought of! Remember, when things go down certain legality issues will not be a problem. There is a solution for wherever you live in and at. Just need to be creative. For example - did you know an excellent source for heating water, food, heat, etc. Is fuel line anti-freeze HEET (product in the yellow bottle). Cheap, easy to store, burns clean, Roughly 1 oz of HEET for 10 oz of water to boil...
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Silverfondler wrote:Just trying to push you guys down other avenues of your prepping that you maybe have thought of! Remember, when things go down certain legality issues will not be a problem. There is a solution for wherever you live in and at. Just need to be creative. For example - did you know an excellent source for heating water, food, heat, etc. Is fuel line anti-freeze HEET (product in the yellow bottle). Cheap, easy to store, burns clean, Roughly 1 oz of HEET for 10 oz of water to boil...

And steel wool and a 9v battery will start a campfire. Check out survival blog for lots of useful info. Keep the faith & fight the power... :shh:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions