War Stories about Bank/Credit Unions/Dump Sites

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: War Stories about Bank/Credit Union Tellers

Postby coppernickel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 pm

1- I stopped at a bank in a really small town and asked for half dollars, or the big dollar coins. The teller looked at me and pulled out what she had and laid them on the counter. Then she looked at me again and called the manager. She came over and teller asked if she could sell the half dollars. The manager picked up two obviously silver coins and said, "sure he can have the rest." :cry:

2- Another bank I asked for halfs, the teller said sure, and handed both to me, the second was a walker. He was hesitant to sell it to me afraid it was counterfeit. After I assured him it was real he was willing to sell it to me. :thumbup:

3- It has really struck me of late how truly ignorant the tellers are of cash. Asking for $2 bills or half dollars, or large dollars drive them right round the bend. Counting $10 in $2 bills can really clog their brains. :shifty:

4- Not just tellers, but cashiers as well. try paying with half dollars. Most take several minutes staring at it just to figure out what it is, even when I tell them.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am

I once asked for half dollars at a bank. The teller asked "Do you mean 50% dollars?" Since he wasn't technically, wrong, I confirmed and said YES.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:27 am

One of my local banks has a policy that employees are not allowed to buy coin, I find that pretty interesting.

I don’t have many stories because I don’t sort much. Last time I brought two boxes worth of Halves to my local WF, they refused to take it. I threw a little fit as these were nicely rolled coins and was told they had no way of checking authenticity so they have to mail them to the treasury, which would cost money. They said once authenticity was verified, I’d get a deposit within 2 weeks. I told them to go ahead and close all 4 accounts I had and that I would take my business elsewhere. After a few more minutes, a bank manager came out and personally checked every single roll with a rare earth magnet, then handed me my cash and said that if the coins had any issues getting authenticated, they would withdraw the money from my account. Needless to say, I never went back

The best story isn’t actually mine (unfortunately). A buddy of mine is a branch manager at a small neighborhood credit union. One time an older lady came in wanting to deposit coins she found cleaning out her late father’s home. He was shocked when she handed him a small bag of Morgan dollars :shock: He spent 5 minuets explaining how these coins are a lot more valuable than face value asking that she keeps them but she insisted, didn’t have any desire to deal with a bunch of old coins. She was happy to walk out with a single $100 bill and the 5 bank employees each bought 20 Morgan dollars for $20. He said that at least once a year relatives dump grandpa’s old coins for a face value deposit. What a shame
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 am

Wow- I have never once gotten a silver dollar at a bank. Probably well over 1,000 Ikes, but never a single Morgan or Peace dollar. I have read about several on this site (including a close personal friend not on this site) who have all had success getting them. One of these days...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: War Stories about Bank/Credit Unions/Dump Sites

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 19, 2018 1:09 am

Got $59 in halves today from a big bank. Two of the rolls jumped out at me. One had 1969 (or perhaps 1964- the writing wasn't very neat) written on the side. Ditto for a second roll. I was quite excited and pulled over into a shady area to open all the rolls before heading home. Sure enough, there was NO SILVER WHATSOEVER. I don't know if someone else was trying to play a cruel joke or what. I certainly did get my hopes up!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions