"Here is the man we should have elected President"

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

"Here is the man we should have elected President"

Postby natsb88 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 pm

A clip posted by Peter Schiff.

Rand is a rare breed in Washington, a politician who will tell you straight up that both Republicans and Democrats are at fault. After years of complaining about Obama's spending, the GOP finally has the presidency, the house, and the senate, and what do they do? Vote to add another $320 billion to the deficit. Neither major party has any credibility when it comes to spending, deficits, and the national debt. This is the biggest threat our country faces. Not terrorism, not immigration, not Chinese solar panels, not climate change, not income inequality, not Russia or North Korea. We are digging ourselves into a financial hole we cannot climb out of.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: "Here is the man we should have elected President"

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm

disappointed it passed but not terribly surprised I guess

republicans will lose majority come election time, mark my words

great opportunity will have been squandered

but R’s and D’s — 2 sides of the same coin really :|
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:44 am

I think immigration is huge. Our demographics are changing quick enough things like the welfare state and the 2nd are in major peril. Welfare states are even crappier if you run out of money of course, and not just from the potential tax changes.

Obviously debt is a major issue though, but it is so high does it matter at this point? could we pay it off? what would it look like with the level of cuts and tax raises wed need to do that? Which isnt to say we can ignore it, but I dont see how we fix it, and land softly. so much of the economy now depends on this level of spending. I can think of a few out of the box ideas to keep people working but neither major party thinks that way at all nor would either major block be likely to support such mindsets I expect.

Look at medicaid medicare and social security alone, by 2030 these will account for roughly our entire budget. boomers completely believe they paid into them their whole lives and deserve it even though they never paid in what they will collectively get and they spent trillions of SS money in the 90s on other things. It would be political suicide to tell them the truth that we cant sustain it and they never paid in enough anyway literally as they retire. Long term it might be worse for libertarians or the republicans to try to ficx it then wait for it to fail and act surprised. In this case it might be best to just do modest cuts so it looks like you tried and you look fiscally wiser then the left which obviously isnt happening.

back when ron paul ran in the 80s or perot in 92 is when we could have turned this ship around. I lean to thinking we just gotta accept were about to hit a bunch of icebergs and man the life boats. I hate saying that I always try to have answers but I dont see it.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 am

As for the election, congress almost always swings away from the incumbent president. Nothing different with Trump in there. frankly the signs look slightly better for Trump. Democrats are dead broke while republicans are raising money well atm. Still likely to slide left as generally happens as it slides away from the sitting prez usually but signs arent horrible. Im not sure identity politics is really working out for the left either. They have their base riled up but the middle is slipping away. If the right stops being retarded they might shift it.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue May 22, 2018 2:43 pm

aloneibreak wrote:
republicans will lose majority come election time, mark my words

In a generic poll without named candidates republicans went from a 16 point deficit a couple months back to a 6 point lead. Lots of time left and it is the candidates that will decide it but still interesting.

http://polling.reuters.com/#!response/T ... apsed/true
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions