A Terrible Time to be an Old, Lonely Technophobe

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

A Terrible Time to be an Old, Lonely Technophobe

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 am

I was just thinking that with crypto currencies, the internet, online bill payment for all kinds of stuff, Venmo/Paypal, etc. this would be a terrible time to be an old person who has no friends or family and doesn't use a computer. How in the world would they get by? We who access this site should pretty much all be relatively comfortable using the internet (or we wouldn't be on this site). Take away the computer and family and friends who could help you muddle by and it could be a tough existence. Someone who doesn't have a bank account or credit/debit card is going to be in a world of hurt pretty soon.

I realize the government wants to create a cashless society to be in control. I feel sorry not just for technophobes but also migrants in the U.S. who don't have bank accounts and have to be paid in cash or go to a Checks Cashed type of place. It feels like there is a squeeze going on and I'm not looking forward to seeing how it will end, because it seems like there are inevitable difficulties ahead.

What does everyone think about this and where it is headed?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: A Terrible Time to be an Old, Lonely Technophobe

Postby Rosco » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am

I'm here but struggle to keep up with new wifi jet pack now.
I'm 80 but fight to even change my task bar.
But able to help 88 yo wife on her Ipad some times.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 am

The road to cashless is marching on, read an article about banks disallowing guns, etc. with bank cards. Yes, it will be legal just not allowed.

Besides, all our posts are tracked, just watch the bots.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I still don’t have a smart phone

:mrgreen:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions