Walmart says "You Can't Take That!"

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Walmart says "You Can't Take That!"

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm very private about my what part of the U.S. I live in, but was at a Walmart tonight going through the self-checkout line.

I saw that someone ahead of me left 20 cents in the change return and proceeded to take the two dimes. Very quickly the Walmart employee supervising the checkout lines comes over to say "You can't do that." So I reach in my pocket and pull out the two dimes to give to him. He says he put them into a drawer just in case the rightful owner came back and asked for the change.
What are the odds of that? And what does he do if nobody comes back in a day or two?

I'm shocked that he would do this. Has anyone else had situations like this? Would it have been the same if I picked up a coin off the floor? Has anyone had this happen when finding money in a Coinstar machine or somewhere else?

Secondly, the next time I see money in the change return I will have to look around to make sure the attendant is taking care of someone else before I take the money out of the change return.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Walmart says "You Can't Take That!"

Postby Rosco » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:48 am

I would Ask will the Store mgr say that is Store Policy :?:
I bet NOT :mrgreen:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:50 am

Not the store but another guy who was looking for coins!

So a guy was just leaving the coinstar and I notice 2 coins on the counter, so I went over and got them as soon as I had them in my hand a old guy comes up to me and says the guy in line they are his, I said no he left them. So the old guy gets the guy from the line and has him come up to me, I say these were left on the counter and the guy takes them! LOL I guess the old guy was so pissed that I beat him to the coins he made sure I did not get them! As I go to pay and leave the store I notice the old guy going to every self checkout station looking for coins!

I have also had cashiers at the self checkout take the leftover change and put it in the donation bin that's above the self check out machines.
hobo finds

Postby AuStruck » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm

A few months back I checked a Coinstar at a local Walmart. There were a few pennies there in the return slot, maybe three. A Walmart employee in Customer Service tells me, "Those aren't yours!" I have already put them in my pocket. I asked, "Where do they belong then?" She is giving me a look of intense hatred. I keep walking not really worried but puzzled. I had done this many times previous to this. Since then I have not checked the Coinstar unless the coast is very clear. Several times when I have been to this Walmart this same person gives me a look of intense hatred.

I know several people who work there. I have thought of getting a part time job there. I know some people who work there such as a retired accountant who works in sporting goods.

I am not sure what to think of this.

(Note: I would really not worry at all about small change left in the change return if I was about to use the self-checkout and the person before had left. Maybe that's just me. But it's like to me if you use a drink machine and find additional change in the change slot no big deal, take it. Probably if a person immediately returns for the change I would give it to them. Otherwise no worry. I've used the self check-out many times now. I almost always use it in Walmart. I think I left change once and came back within five minutes to ask about it. It was gone. I lost. I have no idea what the policy is. Seems to me - finders keepers is the default rule except for the employee maybe. Maybe I'm wrong. With Coinstar maybe a different rule applies. Does this post belong here or where?)
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Also I think there are some people who like to "pay it forward" and leave change in the returns on purpose.

And what about those millennials who are too ashamed to take the change out of the returns, especially pennies.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Yep!
hobo finds

Postby AuStruck » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Never heard of "pay it forward". What's the concept?

Never heard of being ashamed of taking pennies owed in change. Have known snobs and filthy rich.

If a poll was taken here about coins in the Coinstar reject slot, I wonder what the result would be.

Possible choice: These belong to the Copper-Silver goddess. She has rewarded these to you. They are now yours.
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ihavecoins » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Coins left in the return are fair game.

Those are the best coins! Errors, silver or better! Usually just some Euros or Caribbean coins.

www.peopleofwalmart.com is the best!
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:56 am

AuStruck wrote:Never heard of "pay it forward". What's the concept.

Pay it forward has to do with doing something nice for a total stranger knowing they will never pay you back. You hope that when they are better off they will in turn do a nice favor for total strangers. Examples: Someone in line at a drive thru restaurant who asks the cashier to also charge them for the car behind them, a total stranger. Another example: at Christmas time some people go to stores that have layaway plans and pay the balance due for several total strangers.Nice stuff like this...

Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:47 am

AuStruck wrote:Never heard of "pay it forward". What's the concept?

Never heard of being ashamed of taking pennies owed in change. Have known snobs and filthy rich.

If a poll was taken here about coins in the Coinstar reject slot, I wonder what the result would be.

Possible choice: These belong to the Copper-Silver goddess. She has rewarded these to you. They are now yours.

Paying it forward is like investing $250 million from the lottery in asteroid mining. You are paying it forward 100-200 years to people who are not yet born. By enabling space resources extraction infrastructures and an industrial space-faring civilization, you are helping 10s of billions of people, our descendants.

Some people would use the $250 million to help starving people live to reproduce even more starving people. Some would spend it on health care improvements in Africa, some would spend it on their pet charitable projects.

And some would just buy $250,000,000 in gold bullion, not paying it forward at all.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 am

I advocate the opportunistic behavior. Take the money and walk away. Better are the quarters you get from Aldi's shopping carts. Don't think twice.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:12 pm

johnbrickner wrote:I advocate the opportunistic behavior. Take the money and walk away. Better are the quarters you get from Aldi's shopping carts. Don't think twice.

The 99 cent only stores around here do the quarter for a cart thing. Only took a day or two and homeless people were out stalking for the carts left out with the $.25 still in them. Especially during the promotion of the new carts they would put a quarter in the cart for you and show you how to use it... so most people left the carts in the lot full of quarters as they did not "spend" there own quarter in the first place to get that cart! :lol:
hobo finds

Postby AuStruck » Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Brinks truck drops thousands of FRNs on Indiana highway. Reported About 3:30 pm EDT. May 2, 2018. Authorities say "You can't take that."
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 pm

AuStruck wrote:Brinks truck drops thousands of FRNs on Indiana highway. Reported About 3:30 pm EDT. May 2, 2018. Authorities say "You can't take that."

If I was in Indiana I'd go up to the police that are securing the area and shout "Look at that- a Dunkin Donuts truck just overturned." And watch them scatter...

Recyclersteve

Postby knibloe » Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
AuStruck wrote:Brinks truck drops thousands of FRNs on Indiana highway. Reported About 3:30 pm EDT. May 2, 2018. Authorities say "You can't take that."

If I was in Indiana I'd go up to the police that are securing the area and shout "Look at that- a Dunkin Donuts truck just overturned." And watch them scatter...

No kidding here, a Krispy Cream donut truck tipped over in our front yard one day. The cops responded, my wife said she watched them trying to open the back. Not sure what for. I wish she had videoed it. However, it was before cell phones and the camcorder was not handy.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri May 04, 2018 10:37 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Also I think there are some people who like to "pay it forward" and leave change in the returns on purpose.

I am one of those...it is odd but I do not like change in my pocket...It goes into the tip jar at the counter or I will leave it in the coin return for the next person.

I think last Saturday was "Pay it Forward" day....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions