S. Dakota v. Wayfair - 6/21/18

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

S. Dakota v. Wayfair - 6/21/18

Postby Country » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

The U.S. Supreme Court has announced their decision on the S. Dakota v. Wayfair case, overturning the long-standing rule that states could not tax businesses or sellers outside of their borders. What will be the impact for buying coins on the net? Buying coins here? How quickly could it implemented? Could it be appealed?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: S. Dakota v. Wayfair - 6/21/18

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:27 am

How do you appeal something that has been decided by the Supreme Court? I thought they were the ultimate authority.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:39 am

highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm

eBay sent me a message to sign their petition against it

as far as buying and selling on sites like this ?

most of you know me well enough to know what I’ll do
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:30 pm

How would this effect EBAY? Would they have to take a calculation and collection of taxes for their sellers?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Country wrote:How would this effect EBAY? Would they have to take a calculation and collection of taxes for their sellers?

E-bay will collect and distribute the taxes. AZ residents were always required to declare and pay tax on internet purchases. I don't know who actually did it.

It's about time online sellers collected taxes. Not a big deal, just a matter of simple record keeping. :clap:

BTW There is no tax on US currency in AZ. It will be a good place to sell US coins into
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby justoneguy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:44 pm

aloneibreak wrote:most of you know me well enough to know what I’ll do

Thumbs up symbol here
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:10 am

Country wrote:How would this effect EBAY? Would they have to take a calculation and collection of taxes for their sellers?

Ebay is already asking its members to sign a petition for congress to step in and act.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

Ebay is already asking its members to sign a petition for congress to step in and act.

Waste of effort. Ebay, and others better concentrate on 50+ schedules and more in the future when municipalities ask for theirs. I can travel 5 miles in each direction and pay three different combinations of sales tax.

Not a big deal. All legitimate online businesses should have their records in order anyway. Simple record keeping.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Thogey wrote: Simple record keeping.

Is that one of those oxymorons like "political intelligence" or "jumbo shrimp"? :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:30 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Thogey wrote: Simple record keeping.

Is that one of those oxymorons like "political intelligence" or "jumbo shrimp"? :)

Sorry, you were trapped in sarcasm meant for someone else. :oops:
Thogey

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions