Trump threatening to send Military to So. Border

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Trump threatening to send Military to So. Border

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 am

OK Great.

Then what?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Trump threatening to send Military to So. Border

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am

Need to stop detaining and giving a trial. They need to send them back immediately and if they want to come here legally, they can go to our US embassy in their country and apply to come here.

There is no way we are going to hurt these people trying to cross the border or else there will be worldwide outrage.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am

The whole problem stems from how the system is setup for anchor babies and the government assistance these people are provided. Remove that and they have little reason to come here. The biggest frustration i have is that a large majority of the Mexicans in this country have ties to the cartels. They may not directly work for the cartel but their brother, uncle, dad extended family/friends do. So they all watch out for eachother and are complicit. I have experienced this first hand with co workers. They even have family that are in law enforcement so they can be warned before raids/busts happen. It's depressing
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:10 am

Tourney64 wrote:Need to stop detaining and giving a trial. They need to send them back immediately and if they want to come here legally, they can go to our US embassy in their country and apply to come here.

The military cannot do this.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am

Mercuryman wrote:The whole problem stems from how the system is setup for anchor babies and the government assistance these people are provided. Remove that and they have little reason to come here. The biggest frustration i have is that a large majority of the Mexicans in this country have ties to the cartels. They may not directly work for the cartel but their brother, uncle, dad extended family/friends do. So they all watch out for eachother and are complicit. I have experienced this first hand with co workers. They even have family that are in law enforcement so they can be warned before raids/busts happen. It's depressing

Agree, but the military cannot do this.
Thogey

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:31 am

Oh I'm not trying to insinuate that they can. I don't think the problem can be fixed at this point. It's too late in the game
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 am

I'm just curious what Trump is thinking the military will do at the border? He's does not issue idle threats.
What is the "then what?" What's the plan? Guesses?
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:23 pm

My guess is he wants to make a spectacle and maybe try to flip it into using the military to build the wall. Hes mentioned it in the past. Even if the group that is headed here atm breaks up it will likely still have large numbers in each segment. Herding that many people around is going to be ugly. Having military do intensifies that, and highlights how unsustainable it all is. LOL who knows though.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 pm

From the Yahoo news article about this:

The migrants hope to reach Mexico and then cross its northern border with the United States, to seek refuge from endemic violence and poverty in Central America.

Sorry, but strife in your country falls under Not Our Problem. Come here legally, or stay the hell out.

Trump's military threat is the right move. Show foreigners we're taking our borders more seriously. And no, we're not gonna crush anyone under the wheels of a tank. Show of force is always a good deterrant.

How is anyone against this?? Have you seen the rampant immigration-related poverty that's choking SoCal??

In my job we use Verification of Lawful Status (VLS). We can't operate without it. The last "caravan" (aka invasion) caused a VLS outage that lasted 3 days, and I'm a full state away from Cal. If we don't reign this in now, it'll get orders of magnitude worse.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 pm

coindood wrote:Trump's military threat is the right move. Show foreigners we're taking our borders more seriously. And no, we're not gonna crush anyone under the wheels of a tank. Show of force is always a good deterrant.
How is anyone against this?? Have you seen the rampant immigration-related poverty that's choking SoCal??

Against what? All these people have to do, is claim refugee status. The question is, then what? Trump deploys say 50,000 troops. What are they supposed to do?
Is the Army going to build detention centers and babysit? Are helicopters and screaming F-16's supposed to scare these people? Is the 101st airborne going supply lawyers to argue in court? The third world people, coming here, are not stupid. They are working our system. Maybe the Marines can just funnel the illegals into California and Canada.

SoCal deserves this and they should be forced to take all the illegals and go to hell. We should be using the military to defend the civilized world against California anyway. California actually wants the chaos and disease, they pass sanctuary laws and give free $hit to em.

I'd love to see Trump employ a slick creative idea, but how does sending the military work, exactly? Remember, their actual job is to kill people and break things. I just hope he has thought this through.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Let's see- WWTD (what would Trump do)?

I can see him telling all able bodied adults wanting to cross that they have to help build the wall first. Kids will be allowed to play in the dirt while the parents are doing the labor. During construction of the wall, the parents must all remain on the SOUTH side of the wall. When it is done, they are thanked for their labor and given enough in money to get food while they go back to Central America.

Oh yeah, kids are given a free bus ride of less than 1 mile to meet up with their parents just south of the newly built wall.

Sorry to sound insensitive.

Only half kidding with what I said above. I am serious about saying that we've gotta do something pronto to get the damn wall built.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Let's see- WWTD (what would Trump do)?

I can see him telling all able bodied adults wanting to cross that they have to help build the wall first. Kids will be allowed to play in the dirt while the parents are doing the labor. During construction of the wall, the parents must all remain on the SOUTH side of the wall. When it is done, they are thanked for their labor and given enough in money to get food while they go back to Central America.

Oh yeah, kids are given a free bus ride of less than 1 mile to meet up with their parents just south of the newly built wall.

Sorry to sound insensitive.

Only half kidding with what I said above. I am serious about saying that we've gotta do something pronto to get the damn wall built.

Mr. President? Is that you?
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 am

Thogey

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

LIsto . . . objetivo . . . fuego.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:58 pm

I heard someone from the media talking about this and saying that the caravan would attempt to cross the border in either California, Arizona or Texas. Why not New Mexico? The length of their border is actually longer than California's border.

Now, looking at a map, the Texas border is much, much closer than any of the others. It is also the longest border for us to guard, so that give them a greater chance to split up and go in several directions. I don't know if the terrain in Mexico leading to Texas is more difficult to navigate. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if they avoid Texas (the old "Don't Mess With Texas" motto), it is because they want to go where they would be more welcome.

That makes California the obvious answer as the place to go. Liberal people, wonderful weather. The path to get there is longer, but good things are worth waiting for. The people of California could even create a city for the people in the caravan and call it Ciudad Caravana (Caravan City)! They could have a bunch of Dodge Caravans waiting for them when they arrive- all would be in desperate need of an oil change and other basic items. They might consider placing the city directly on a fault line. That way, when there is a disaster we can always tell them it was their own fault! (get it?)

In all seriousness, I feel for the people in the caravan, but we need to make an example of them. As if Trump hasn't had enough battles already, this one will be a biggie. Stay tuned- this will be better than reality TV and Pay Per View.

One final thought, if I lived in the San Diego area right now, I'd be mighty nervous. I wonder if real estate agents are experiencing more homes going up for sale from people looking to move away from So. Cal.

Fear of the unknown is indeed very powerful.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm

By the way, is anyone tracking the movement of the caravan. Do we have a rough ETA on when they are expected to arrive?

Recyclersteve

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions