Stocks down 10%. Thoughts on markets/metals?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Stocks down 10%. Thoughts on markets/metals?

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am

The stock markets are down 10% this week, and likely to be down further in coming months.

Gold and silver are wandering like a pair of drunken sailors.

Platinum is down to nearly half of the price of gold. Platinum has for the past century been more valuable than gold. I think it's a fundamental that will hold.

I've taken the opportunity to use this week's investment funds to buy platinum.

Has anyone taken advantage of the platinum drop? Thoughts on the markets or metals.

I like the drunken sailor metaphor, takes one to know one.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Stocks down 10%. Thoughts on markets/metals?

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:10 pm

I just heard on aljazeera business news. China's GDP growth rate is expected to slow to 4.5% in the first quarter. this is a 50% drop in growth.

I'll bet they catch up for the year.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justoneguy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:13 pm

my 2 cents,
I think that a LOT of stackers count on there job for income and expenses.
Corona could easily start an economic downturn which could spiral out of control.
Stackers ARE going to sell off at any price to bring in food or mortgage payments
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:52 pm

justoneguy wrote:my 2 cents,
Corona could easily start an economic downturn which could spiral out of control.
Stackers ARE going to sell off at any price to bring in food or mortgage payments

Stack of metal is safer than money in the bank.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:14 pm

justoneguy wrote:my 2 cents,

I think (hope) most stackers have a reserve of a few months of mortgage payments set aside. Hopefully a good store of food as well. These should be your first investment.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:45 pm

Dow up almost 1300 points today. Was this an oversold bounce, short covering rally or PPT (Plunge Protection Team) intervention? Also, there is talk that the Feds might be lowering interest rates- I certainly hope that DOESN'T happen. Those who have been frugal enough to save money for decades deserve to get a better (higher) interest rate. Also, higher interest rates cause a necessary (from time to time) purging of lousy businesses that can only survive on cheap money.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby agmoose » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:08 am

And the Fed panicked and cut rates quickly today by 50 basis pts. I think they should have waited.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:06 pm

agmoose wrote:And the Fed panicked and cut rates quickly today by 50 basis pts. I think they should have waited.

Doctors around the world pause in slack-jawed wonder at the news because they had never been taught that rate cuts heal coronavirus.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions