The Great Corona Virus Opportunity!

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

The Great Corona Virus Opportunity!

Postby Thogey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:25 am

What are they?
What can we see emerging that can be capitalized on? It there profit here?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The Great Corona Virus Opportunity!

Postby Landrover » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 am

I accidently ordered an extra case of hand sanitizer for my office a few weeks ago. I was going to return it but by the time I got around to it this all came up. Guess I'll keep it.
Landrover
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 am

A clear win! Maybe you could flip it?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am

Home delivery services might do well.

Have a quarantine pod sent directly to you house. Included is everything a family of 4 needs to survive for 21 days.

The "Stay a Home Comfort Pod"?
Thogey

Postby justoneguy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am

O2 concentrator,
still available,
but for how long?
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Thogey wrote:A clear win! Maybe you could flip it?

But you aint doin it on e-bay
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcem ... p/30734312
Thogey

Postby Landrover » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 am

"But you aint doin it on e-bay"

wow. They are already gone. My boss told everyone to take one or two home with them.
Landrover
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 pm

I'm currently up 235% on INO. Too bad I only bought 10 shares :lol:
natsb88

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:57 pm

I just realized, this is the 21st Century. Any attempts to profit will be condemned. Instead of a few profiteers making bank able to save the world, culture would rather have us all get sick and die broke together.

Media, bankers, and politicians have a single message of collectivism. Any efforts of self protection are being condemned.

Our local media condemned people for stocking up on food water and toilet paper. The person highlighted was a man who has only been able to get enough supplies for his family for three months, and he was condemning the population for taking the supplies he wanted.

It was amazing to me that the highlighted person was so much more "equal" than everyone else. "Equal" from the Animal Farm" definition.

Orwell, G. and Hitchens, C. (2010). Animal farm. London: Harvill Secker.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... r-covid-19
Last edited by coppernickel on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 am

I made some money flipping masks back when the Ebola was the big scary. Saw this early and got in on some masks for cheap before the rush. Did pretty well on eBay with them. I don't know how it's price gouging when I start a listing at $1 and people bid it up sky high? Donated 10% to St Jude on the listings too. But that is now an offense that will get you banned. Crazy. Still have leftover masks and no outlet for them. Oh well, if things get crazy I can trade locally for coins or bullets, haha.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 am

For those who like to speculate (notice I didn't use the word "invest" this time) in the stock market, there are at least a half dozen companies working on immunizations for the COVID-19 virus. I am NOT in any of these and don't have plans to be. Also, if I were going to trade them, I would just as likely consider shorting the ones that have already moved up a lot betting on a pullback rather than buying them. Selling short is what you do when you sell shares that are NOT in your account. If you sell short 1,000 XYZ Biotech, then your account shows you have -1000 XYZ (not 1000, but -1000). You do this by borrowing shares from your brokerage firm. Later when you want to close out the position you BUY the stock. Buying 1000 shares when you have -1000 will bring you back up to zero (a flat position, if you will).

But, stocks that could be considered Hard-To-Borrow (after a big move up) often have big fees attached to securing shares. In other words, you need to locate shares of a stock that could easily fall, say, 30% to 40% in the next few days. But you have to pay a fee of 80% to borrow the stock in the first place so you can short it. To be fair this is often an annual fee- so it would be a lot less for a small portion of a year.

Caveat emptor.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:47 am

It seems some of our lawmakers' found the great corona virus opportunity early on.

Not joking when I write this. They should be tried, convicted and publicly hanged by the neck until dead.
Thogey

Postby messymessy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:28 pm

If we are looking for long term winners, I would guess that streaming services are having good sales.

Who makes Purell and other hand sanitizers? Their sales are going through the roof because of increased use and will undoubtedly have a good quarter (maybe longer).

How about Dell and other companies that make and sell computers, especially laptops? Lots of people buying new laptops or upgrading laptops to work at home.

Transportation companies should have higher profits because of lower fuel prices (although diesel hasn't gone done as much as gas).
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 am

Come up with and promote via infomercial anything called "The Wuhan Diet"

Thogey's 'quarantine pod' is gold. Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon or some other player was already on that. And prepping is about to go from quirky to mainstream; when this thing eventually passes, a lotta people are going to remember the shortages and curfews. Anything that teaches or otherwise aids in prepping will be popular. Vegetable gardens may become the latest landscaping must-have.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 am

Victory gardens.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am

I noticed that the hospitals are asking for people who sew to make masks and the hospitals will send people by to pick them up. Donated of course. But if you were good with your sewing machine and had some trendy fabric on hand you could make some big money selling your specially designed face masks on Etsy. I saw them selling for $12.00 to $18.00 each for homemade quality reusable face masks.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Send unemployed strippers out with greasy food. https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... P41wtjboIk
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby DTEJD1997 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:11 pm

Hey all:

There are 2 ways I think (know) somebody could make money in this current environment.

1). The stock market sometimes has good bargains. ESPECIALLY on days when there is panic selling. You can get a "double whammy" if you can find a stock that is not followed widely OR mis-understood.

One example of this is a mREIT that recently (last 6 months) that has completely changed their financial structure for the better. This is NOT showing up in some of their filings, and you have to read their quarterly reports and earnings call transcripts to kind of figure it out. It was selling for 1/3 of book value, and a 3 P/E and a 30% dividend yield....as good as that was, some of their debt was briefly selling for about $.30 on the dollar. REMEMBER, the mREIT is massively overcapitalized...so even if their assets were only worth 20 cents on the dollar, the bonds will easily be paid off. Their assets are arguably worth what they are being carried for, even in a slight or moderately distressed real estate environment.

OR some of the larger name brand stocks sometimes get "silly". For example, GES (Guess Jeans) was selling for $3.85 one day, the next day it goes up to $11/share.

I can go on and on and on, but you get the idea.

2). "GHOST KITCHEN". This is a restaurant that has no dining room and is carryout and delivery only. If you can buy well positioned real estate, close to a desirable market, I think you could build it out for 35% of the cost of a "regular" restaurant and do make 65% of the business? You would also get employee efficiency, no seating hostess, no bus boys, waiters/waitresses. Double whammy on the "ghost kitchen" if you can produce items for other restaurants/retailers during "off" hours. For example, make soups, side dishes, baked items from midnight till 8 AM.

TRIPLE WHAMMY if that "ghost kitchen" can also serve as a commissary for a food truck.
DTEJD1997
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions