And here comes the cashless society thx to the Chicoms

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

And here comes the cashless society thx to the Chicoms

Postby fasteddy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:36 am

Our Home Depot's have checkout machines that only accept cards....our local HD only has one machine that accepts cash, A local merchant stopped taking cash last week and now my wife goes by the chik filet and as of yesterday no longer accept cash to "protect out team/community and to help speed up the process in our drive-thru" maybe it is an April Fools joke but I doubt it.

Are y'all seeing more cashless society in your locales?
Last edited by fasteddy on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: And here comes the cashless society thx to the Chicoms

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 am

This is the death nail. How would you like to be a convenience clerk in an urban area, or a $hitty Las vegas corner market?
I think cash is going to become so distasteful and expensive for corporations to handle, it's going to be used only for very private transactions.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:24 pm

I went to the clinic to pay a doctors bill and they told me they don't accept cash. Is this legal? It says on a FRN that it is legal tender for all debts public and private. This is a debt as I went to the doctor in January. I can see it being legal to refuse cash payment for something that you want to buy but if it is to pay a debt you would think that they would have no choice. When I go to pay my property taxes in May can they legally refuse to take my cash?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:33 pm

https://blogs.findlaw.com/free_enterpri ... -cash.html

Depending on what state you are in it appears to be a topic of dispute.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Toss the cash on the counter take a picture of it and walk out?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 pm

On the flip side, I can think of a few examples of places/people that/who will ONLY accept cash.

McDonalds: late at night when they are doing computer backups they will NOT accept a credit card- only cash.

A small mom and pop (one of a kind) burger place near a local college campus: still doesn't accept anything but cash- used to keep bounced checks hanging on a wall of shame near the register. These guys have really good food, but are very stubborn- I will be very surprised if/when they accept credit cards. Website still says "cash only".

Handyman types: Many of them will take checks, but prefer cash and will give a discount for it. They're used to getting dirty when doing the work they do. I'd be surprised if many of them would try to push people away from cash. I'd also be surprised if they refused to take cash.

I've heard the estimate that 20% of the adult population in the U.S. doesn't have a bank account. Some people simply prefer to deal with cash. Think also about places like flea markets. If I was renting a booth at a flea market, I'd want people to pay me in cash.

I agree that those who are flexible enough to adopt an alternative method will be looking at cashless ways to do transactions. But I think cash could be on life support for many years still.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 am

Make a document that basically says:

Date.

ABC Co. provided goods and/or services to Realcenter.

Realcenter tendered cash in full payment in the amount of $x,xxx.xx for the debt owed.

ABC Co. refused to accept said cash in payment of the debt owed.

Signed ... ABC Co. representative

Then walk out with the signed document as your receipt, the debt has been settled.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:41 pm

The pandemic has certainly temporarily changed payment practices at businesses, but I don't see a cashless society in the near future.

It's one thing for small developed european countries to attempt to ban cash, but entirely different for a country as large and diverse as the USA to do so.

Interestingly, earlier this year NYC banned cashless businesses: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rimination

Even the hi-tech hub of San Francisco banned cashless businesses last year.

The arguments for keeping cash actually come from both ends of the economic political spectrum.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby StoreOfValue » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:02 pm

This is just anecdotal at one Walmart, but self serve checkouts all had one or another sign this weekend.

Pennies out at this machine
No coin at this machine
All coin reservoirs low

This struck me as odd so I had to get on and ask some realcenters if you have noticed anything else strange.

-Mark
“Gold is the currency of kings, silver is the currency of the educated, barter is the currency of the working-class, and debt is the currency of slaves.”
StoreOfValue

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:27 am

StoreOfValue wrote:This is just anecdotal at one Walmart, but self serve checkouts all had one or another sign this weekend.

No coin at this machine
All coin reservoirs low

This struck me as odd so I had to get on and ask some realcenters if you have noticed anything else strange.

-Mark

Not a clue about that one Walmart.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:13 am

There is an opportunity for someone to supply them with zincolns!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Some small businesses can't qualify for merchant services (too small or too many chargebacks) or perceive the processing cost as too high. They are the merchants that only accept cash. On the flip side many businesses are refusing cash or stating they prefer not to take it due to covid.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Cash usage is down, demand for holding cash is up. $50 bills are becoming scarce in Canada. https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/ba ... -1.5042848
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am

I think this whole scenario is why you should have cash on-hand now more than ever..

Think about it:

1.online transactions are up up up- the infrastructure is not designed to handle that much activity.
2. COVID has alot of people doing everything online- in the meantime, hackers (both foreign AND domestic) are watching and looking for opportunities to gain intel, identity data, transaction data, etc.

Any one of these things can make either a component, or the whole system, fail. If and when it does, and people can't use a card someplace, what will you use then?

We keep some cash at the house solely for these reasons. Too many people are putting too much faith in cashless transactions. If the system blows up, they will be SOL.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 am

TXSTARFIRE wrote:I went to the clinic to pay a doctors bill and they told me they don't accept cash. Is this legal? It says on a FRN that it is legal tender for all debts public and private. This is a debt as I went to the doctor in January. I can see it being legal to refuse cash payment for something that you want to buy but if it is to pay a debt you would think that they would have no choice. When I go to pay my property taxes in May can they legally refuse to take my cash?

I think I'd be calling a lawyer friend if I had one. That may turn into extra cash, at minimum!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Could cash become a DNC versus GOP issue in the future? (we know where libertarians are depending on which non libertarian they pick this time). Could be the DNC supports it with the idea that such a huge amount of people in lower classes dont even have bank accounts. then also maybe, not since most of these people probably dont vote either. Maybe the GOP takes it up as an issue as personal liberty. Most modern massive companies do support the left now. Its not the 90s anymore.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:12 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
StoreOfValue wrote:This is just anecdotal at one Walmart, but self serve checkouts all had one or another sign this weekend.

No coin at this machine
All coin reservoirs low

-Mark

Not a clue about that one Walmart.

Our walmart wont accept cash at the self check out
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions