Aluminium shortage

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Aluminium shortage

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:20 pm

I went to the store yesterday and new signs posted by the beer and soda. It stated due to a national aluminium shortage certain types and flavored can beverages may not be in stock. Wtf. More bs....
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Aluminium shortage

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Scrap aluminum prices going up then?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smackvay » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:Scrap aluminum prices going up then?

i hope so as i havent sold anything other than steel for maybe 2 years, probably have 2500 of sheet clean aluminum :thumbup:
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:06 am

I read about shortages in both San Diego and Houston.

One thing a bit strange about aluminum cans is this. They have a small surface area and if you pick one up that was recently touched by someone with the virus, that would likely pose a problem. I have recycled other items, but the cans are a potential problem for now IMHO.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby aussamdad » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 am

today here in Houston 30 cents a pound for cans....lets see $1.30 pound! I am covered up in them.
aussamdad

Postby xippi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm

prices at the scrap yard have been cut in half in the last year from .40 per lb down to .20 cents

from April 22 2020 Seattle times
[b]Alcoa to shut Ferndale smelter, throwing 700 out of work[/b]

"The country now only has five smelters remaining and all of them are losing money. Forecasts have been bearish, with supply of aluminum far outpacing demand"

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/l ... t-of-work/

I thought I read somewhere there closing a place in NY or Michigan but I couldn't find the story.
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 am

This is a strange occurrence. Normally prices go up (not down) when there are shortages. It is hard to explain, except that I never thought I’d see barrels of oil and interest rates both below zero in my lifetime. This is indeed the Bizarro World (Seinfeld reference).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 am

Accidental dupe- sorry.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:18 am

Another thought- if you think the shortage will last a while, you might stock up on aluminum foil. That would make an interesting barter item for a SHTF situation.

Recyclersteve

Postby knibloe » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Another thought- if you think the shortage will last a while, you might stock up on aluminum foil. That would make an interesting barter item for a SHTF situation.

In my opinion if there is an item that you use on a regular basis you should have a spare (or 2) on hand. Especially after all of this.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:03 pm

There isn't a shortage of aluminum, it is a shortage of cans.

There was no paper pulp shortage, but there sure was a toilet paper shortage.

Same idea. People's buying habits have changed.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions