JM Bullion data breach

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

JM Bullion data breach

Postby NiBullionCu » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm

https://www.techradar.com/news/this-could-be-the-most-expensive-data-breach-ever

JM Bullion, which sells gold, silver, copper, platinum and palladium, became the victim of a cyberattack back in February that was not discovered until July.
It remains unclear why the hack is only just being disclosed publicly.

Potentially, this breach could have resulted in sensitive information, including customer names, addresses and even payment information, falling into the wrong hands.
The malicious code was only removed from JM Bullion website on July 17 – meaning that it was present for a staggering five months.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: JM Bullion data breach

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:17 am

That sucks. Thankfully, I never bought from them.

They should send everyone a monster box to make amends. :thumbup:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:49 am

They are a good supplier and sadly this can happen to almost any merchant. Fortunately for me personally I haven't used them during this time frame and better yet - due to mail fraud in a separate and unrelated issue with a stolen check I had to close in Feb the checking account that I had used with JMB for direct debit in the past. (Maybe that PITA issue was a God thing that protected me from greater loss.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:42 am

For those who can do cash only with local dealers or coin shows, the dealers often won’t even know your name and almost certainly won’t have your home address on their computer.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:12 pm

I'm really disappointed in their lack of preventive testing. Their client base must be quite extensive.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions