Signs of inflation?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Signs of inflation?

Postby Treetop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:40 am

Corsair wrote:
Treetop wrote:...ended up with more votes then voters, had hundreds under threat of perjury list this..

Lawyer here. Can confirm no one has ever lied under oath, ever. Not once. Ever.

I get for a court case you generally just have to give a shadow of doubt. Saying "people have lied before" doesnt really do that though. Did you know 10s of thousands of mail in votes at minimum in several states were "mail in votes" but were never folded? Meaning its impossible they came through the mail in the official envelopes provided for this. I didnt even cover close to all of the proven issues let alone the others. Taking this the other way, the very fact the voting machines most used can be set to count votes as more then 1 or less than 1 instead of just one by itself gives doubt to the idea there was no issues. Especially when we were told they couldnt get online but its now proven they were online and even proof in a few places were online and taking in data during the election.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Look at that lumber futures price chart as of about 1 pm Eastern today, June 16... wow! Hopefully it keeps falling so that housing and renovations can become more affordable.
Attachments
Lumber Futures 16062021.JPG
Lumber Futures 16062021.JPG (57.27 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/powell ... -1.6067671 good analysis of why central bankers are allowing inflation - to let low wages rise. And that is exactly what we are seeing. In Vancouver restaurants are crying they can’t get staff to come back unless they up their wage rate.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 am

That sounds like a very shady explanation to me. Highly unlikely low end wages are going to keep up with inflation. Historically they dont even come close to doing so. (on a side note low end wages were beating inflation for the first time since the 70s with Trumps mindset on trade and immigration pre covid here in the US)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:57 am

JadeDragon wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/powell-macklem-cpi-column-don-pittis-1.6067671 good analysis of why central bankers are allowing inflation - to let low wages rise. And that is exactly what we are seeing. In Vancouver restaurants are crying they can’t get staff to come back unless they up their wage rate.

Yes, interesting article. The dual mandate of the Fed -- employment and inflation -- is something that I continue to have a hard time wrapping my head around. But I don't want to go on a rant about it. I think it's best that its Canadian counterparts don't go that route.

As to what Vancouver restaurants are experiencing... the situation with wages is similar in Michigan and many other states in the US. Around here, labor participation is quite a bit lower than what employers would like to see. Low end wages are on the rise but it does not seem to be helping. Lots of jobs remain unfilled, across manufacturing, service sector, etc. I'm sure stimulus had something to do with it but there must be other reasons as well.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:26 pm

Generally business owners around me are having a hard time finding staff. Media reports say even the health care system and ambulance service is having a hard time filling positions.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:46 am

I saw a sign at a local McDonalds recently, "Hiring at $11.00/hr."

When the kid at the window says, "One double cheeseburger, that will be $12.97, thank you." ..... you will know why.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:59 am

JadeDragon wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/powell-macklem-cpi-column-don-pittis-1.6067671 good analysis of why central bankers are allowing inflation - to let low wages rise. And that is exactly what we are seeing. In Vancouver restaurants are crying they can’t get staff to come back unless they up their wage rate.

I see this with new eyes the second time I looked at it. I get it now. "They" need people to think they are making more so need inflation so they can up the wages even though buying power will likely be the same or lower for most of the lower class as always happened in the past in inflationary periods. The first time I had read it I was just thinking of the buying power of the low wage workers. Your article doesnt exactly frame it this way but taking the bigger picture its clear they are talking about watering down buying power and making wages seems higher even though for a family living off of it they wont be.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:55 pm

It’s worse than that here (western WA) and yes those burgers are going to get expensive.

2CCF957B-CDAE-422B-AB0A-4CB52DB0C13B.jpeg
2CCF957B-CDAE-422B-AB0A-4CB52DB0C13B.jpeg (145.08 KiB) Viewed 3861 times

IdahoCopper wrote:I saw a sign at a local McDonalds recently, "Hiring at $11.00/hr."

When the kid at the window says, "One double cheeseburger, that will be $12.97, thank you." ..... you will know why.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:33 am

Very interesting take on grocery prices. How stores adjust prices for inflation, increasing their markup and profits. Also how much inflation consumers will tolerate before adjusting their buying habits. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/18/business ... index.html
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:42 am

Im not sure Id call it a sign of inflation exactly, but maybe in some way. Have you guys noticed getting rotten food as fresh more often lately? Just in the last month or two Ive gotten moldy bread more than once, what seemed to be ancient pickles that were inedible, potatoes that were rotting within days, even a melon that was already rotting when opened, chocolate milk that was entirely spoiled and to gross to describe, and a few others. Everything either had labels saying it was freshly made or were what appeared to be fresh produce. Ive had this happen over the years about as much as it has happened to us the last month or two. I kept tossing stuff without talking to the stores about it, but I took that nasty chocolate milk in. The store manager I believe it was took me to the side and asked if I was having money troubles and trying to get a few bucks. Wasnt even demanding a refund. After a bit of chatting he said he had asked that because others are complaining of the same things and its such a rare issue he doesnt believe it. Appears atleast here in remote NM our products quality went down fast and dramatically. Not exactly sure why or how. Its a range of types of products. Might relate to cutting better staff during covid I guess? Or rushing things to meet demands? or cutting corners because of inflation? I dunno. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this in other areas of the nation.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:26 am

Treetop wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Treetop wrote:...ended up with more votes then voters, had hundreds under threat of perjury list this..

Lawyer here. Can confirm no one has ever lied under oath, ever. Not once. Ever.

\

We just got our first hard data Im aware of out of GA. In some cases the data has been erased, others are ignoring this issue still and many other cases still pending in courts. What it showed is that in that county those claiming fraud were telling the truth. There were copied ballots and some counted more than once. The same claims of vote watchers in key areas all over the nation, and in some cases the vote watchers were blocked from watching at all so who knows what happened in those places.

Keep in mind these were ballots that had been "recounted" where the batches of ballots on record absolutely did not match vote totals, with the same issues poll watchers were claiming. What is the chance most of the other poll watchers were telling the truth as well? We havent been able to prove or disprove the watchers claims that many mail in ballots were never folded and thus never in the mail. Although that is also on video in some cases it was claimed, despite so many officials insisting it is a myth.

Wouldnt that be wild if the single place we got hard data from proving blatant fraud AFTER and DURING a recount was also the single place the poll workers that claimed issues were telling the truth? I think we all know atleast some of the others were as well. By literal numbers this is now proven to be the most fraud ridden election officially in US history with the hard data from only part of a single county in one state. Many social media sources wont even let you discuss it claiming its false. LOL.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:46 am

Funny thing is that two specific examples shown in the coverage I watched last night were of duplicated ballots (which were obvious due to forensically distinguishing unique marks) that were Republican votes. But the samples they were pulled from were dominated by Democrat votes. Thousands of fraudulent votes just in this cursory look - in an election decided by 12000 votes.

Yes there is a reason that half the country doesn't believe the results.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 am

Not sure how this got pulled so far off topic - thought we were in the election results thread, but this is the inflation thread.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 am

68Camaro wrote:Not sure how this got pulled so far off topic - thought we were in the election results thread, but this is the inflation thread.

Yeah, wasnt sure where to put it because I wanted to bring up corsairs comment to respond to. (he was talking about the integrity of the poll watchers claiming issues). Sorry to anyone bothered by threads off topic.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Treetop wrote:Id be horrified if my property value shot up drastically. Just means more taxes. We bought a new placed awhile back. Couldnt come close to building it when we did and much less so now. It was on the market 2 years when we bought it. I held his poor feet to the fire in the deal. 20k under asking and a 5% seller concession to cover closing and a bit extra. Bought the house with a tiny bit of equity. Im happy to report it is not worth more in the local economy. People here with money to buy a place prefer to buy open land and build or move in a modular oftentimes.

Well this post doesnt appear to have aged well for me. Decided to look at local listings. Homes have always sold slowly here, and a few are still on the market from 2 years ago when I bought the place I have now. That said prices have crept up significantly since I posted this and there are dramatically fewer listed for some reason. Im rather confused because I know we lost several hundred in population during covid which is several % of our population here. Out of state investors that dont really understand the area maybe? I dunno. (also I notice I made a mistake on the quoted post. It was a 3% seller concession, not 5% like I listed)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm

I’ll get this thread back on target.

To me a definite sign of inflation would be looking at a McDonald’s menu and seeing it say:

“Big Mac- market price”…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:31 pm

My daughter found Turkeys for a $1.49 a pound, you know this year's best bargain price.

I told her, finding a turkey is more important than the price. The news keeps running stories that turkeys, and other Thanksgiving staples are in short supply.

I got gas today for $4.01.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions