Steel Sky High and Copper Running Out

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Steel Sky High and Copper Running Out

Postby JadeDragon » Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Meanwhile, the International Energy Agency warned this week that there isn't enough copper, lithium and other raw earth minerals available to make global clean energy ambitions a reality. The world risks "running out of copper," Bank of America strategists said in a recent note to clients.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/investin ... index.html
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: Steel Sky High and Copper Running Out

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat May 14, 2022 3:41 pm

Well, no doubt strategic metals and other commodities are in short supply for a large number of reasons. Let me count the ways:

Mismanagement of resources
Special interest groups
Shipping snarls
Political influence and/or favoritism
The "If I can't have it, you can't either attitude. I'll see to that!"

This is just pathetic. What a poor example to set for our children.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun May 15, 2022 8:06 am

JadeDragon wrote:Meanwhile, the International Energy Agency warned this week that there isn't enough copper, lithium and other raw earth minerals available to make global clean energy ambitions a reality. The world risks "running out of copper," Bank of America strategists said in a recent note to clients.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/investin ... index.html

A space-faring civilization won't run out of resources for millennia.

The important question is:

Will we as a civilization build that reality before it is too late?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 15, 2022 9:02 am

Much of the use of copper could be replaced with aluminum for simple conduction. The failure of the first generation of aluminum wiring was a design issue that didn't correctly compensate for the higher thermal expansion coefficient of AL There is plenty of copper for our needs if we balanced it's use.

That could be done within a generation, versus space colonization (which is many generations away - if it even ever makes sense).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun May 15, 2022 9:30 am

You can't solve 22nd century problems with 20th century thinking and knowledge.

Of course space resource extraction looks unlikely today.

The uphill technology climb to that goal has barely begun.

Do we eat those seeds today, or plant and tend them?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 15, 2022 12:41 pm

Let's focus most resources on colonizing the most hospitable planet known. Where is that? Oh - that's the earth. The absolute worst places on earth are far more colonizable and hospitable than the kindest extraterrestrial location. Not by a little. By orders of magnitude. I'm not opposed to continuing space travel research in a smart way but arguments of near term colonization of other bodies are just fantasy. It took mankind thousands of years to perfect sea travel well enough that allowed practical expansion to the Western hemisphere - let's give ourselves the same room for something much more challenging.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 am

Again, 20th century thinking only sees : "colonizing". Asteroids are resources. Some are stainless steel (iron/nickel), some are PGMs, and some are rock (O2, silicon, aluminum, carbon, etc.)

Why not a colony, but a mostly robotic mining camp with a few humans to oversee. In the end, it takes more than foresight, it takes farsight. What will we need 100 to 150 years from now?

The usual focus on the near-term (10-25 years) will doom our descendants to poverty and starvation when Earth's resources are exhausted.

Its not merely understanding, one must overstand.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 am

Im totally on board with idahos mindset. Probably is far off we could do it affordably though. that said the obvious seems to me to use robotics to mine the oceans. Weve barely touched most of the earths surface because its under the ocean. We do mine the ocean in very limited ways already, but with so much surface area down there it seems like an obvious more accessible step. I guess copper is one of the things people have successfully mined from the oceans.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 16, 2022 12:51 pm

Yeah, if you want to compare the cost of undersea mining to asteroid mining; no comparison. Saying that we are mineral resource limited on earth is ridiculous. A few consumables like silver will get increasingly hard to get and more expensive until undersea sources are developed, but generally we have barely touched what we have here.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue May 17, 2022 7:56 am

Or the Climate Change Hoax is actually real, Antarctica will melt, exposing vast untapped resources of coal, oil, copper, silver, gold .....

But then, the Sun has recently moved into an area of the galaxy that has more dust than usual. Thus less sunlight is hitting the Earth, thus global cooling, advancing glaciers, and the Hoaxers will say, "Look what we did with our mitigation efforts!"
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue May 17, 2022 8:38 am

Even if warming happened as fast or faster than the most extreme claims the ice will take so long to melt off antarctica that it probably wont matter for this issue, and certainly not for any of us. Talking several thousand years. I forget the number off hand but there are several million cubic miles of ice.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions